There is a funny noise coming from the right side of the dash when I shut down my 2003 jeep grand Cherokee overland. I also have problems with my battery draining overnight.

Asked by Mar 29, 2016 at 10:24 AM about the 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4WD

93,055

Is a creaking type noise and does it finally stop after about 15 to 30 seconds? If so it is a servo motor for one of the blend doors, usually the motor pivot itself has cracked so instead of stopping when the door reaches the stop the motor overcomes the resistance and continues to rotate until the HVAC computer sees it is over rotational spin and shuts it down. As far as a battery draw, first make sure all of the inside light turn off, especially the glove boxes if equipped, then open the power distribution fuse box and remove the Air Bag fuse and Keep Alive Memory fuses, those could be marked KAM, next disconnect as battery cable, then put a test light inbetween the battery post and the terminal end if the light lights up bright then you do have a high battery draw, if it is only a glow that is normal and you have no draw large enough to kill a battery overnight, suggest that a battery replacement is called for. Now if you have a bright light, electrically disconnect the alternator, if the light goes out or just a faint glow replace the alternator, if the light stays bright, then start taking out fuses one at a time noting where each fuse went until the light goes out, then find out what systems are on the circuit and repair or replace the offending component, then start putting the fuses while watching the light, if it stays out then you good to go, reconnect the alternator, disconnect the test light and reconnect the battery, reinstall the KAM and Air Bag fuses. HTH