Is my motor gone

20

Asked by Apr 24, 2014 at 04:02 PM about the 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD

I have a 2002 jeep yesterday I was driving on highway and it just shut off no lights on
dash and than it wouldn't start today jump started it and it started but smokes a very little
and is making a knocking noise please help!

112,025

Check all yours fluids. Oil and water. Does oil look like a milkshake? Water look oily? If so to either you have a blown head gasket or cracked head at the least. But that does not explain the knock. Does knock sound down low in the engine? Possibly slung a rod or rod bearing.

20

I just check oil it's watery. One person told me I need a whole new engine. But I don't see how. The knock sounds like its under motor to me. I did a oil change after that is when the knocking started. I would like to try anything cause don't want to put new motor in it and it starts I haven't drive to drive it

112,025

Knock low in motor is a major issue. Rod or rod bearing issue probably. It can be rebuilt but you would probably come out cheaper and quicker to locate a good used motor and swap it in for yours.

20

Would it be cheaper to just rebuild this engine?

112,025

If you have someone you can trust to build it right you would probably come out better to have it rebuilt but it won't be cheap and your vehicle will be down for probably two to three weeks maybe more. And will they warranty the work? With a good used engine your vehicle will only be down a few day maybe a week and will probably have some kind of warranty/guaranty with it. I advise you to Find out your motor size and check around for used motor prices and installation costs (unless you can do yourself) and also ask local shops the cost of rebuilding yours

20

I just found a recall on the rod bearing! I can do some on the work myself I also have my dad who can help me. The time isn't a big deal to me just the cost

112,025

That's great. Maybe that recall will apply to your issue and get you back on the road.