Stalling and rough idle problem.

340

Asked by Nov 09, 2011 at 08:50 PM about the 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD

My 2002 Grand Cherokee 4.0l recently started  having rough idle problems. I did a tune up..changed the plugs.....replaced the coil rail.....air filter.....gas filter. The idle is still rough and now it stalls suddenly. It has stalled while I was highway driving.....sitting at a light...ect. It doesn't seem to be the fuel pump as I can hear it come on when I turn the key. Anyone have any ideas what it could be?

Thanks!

Dolfan

3,205

If you can HEAR the fuel pump, then that might be the issue. Normally fuel pumps get really noisy when they are beginning to fail. Due to clogged fuel filters the pump fails soon after. Replace both or get the fuel pressure checked at the fuel rails on the engine. Other possible issues could be crank sensor or intake MAF sensor. Wouldn't hurt to take some MAF sensor cleaner to it and also clean out your throttle bottle. I think there is a idle control sensor in the throttle body near the butterfly valve. Check that too.

340

Thanks Matt. I changed out my cranksaft postion sensor. I got the error code off the odometer and AutoZone said it was the sensor. I just swapped it out so we'll see if it stalls again. If not I'll look into the fuel pump. Thanks again. I'll let you know how it goes.

340

I have had no more stalling or rough idling so I guess it was the crankshaft sensor. Thanks again for the response Matt.

3,205

You're welcome.

100

I had a similar problem with my 2000; finally solved with new fuel filter. the fuel filter is also the fuel pressure regulator.

80

Just so I understand, on a 2002 jeep Cherokee the fuel pressure regulator is inside the fuel filter ???

90

My 2004 grand jeep stalls out when I stop at a light what could it be

60

Ive the same problem .. just changed the crank sensor .. Still stalls and no break and steering also freezes .. Its very dangerous .. Sbody pls help . Can it be the mass sensor ??

50

I have a 1988 jeep cherokee n it has a rough idle n a miss. It starts up fine n sometimes the rpms well stay at 3000 rpms. I sometimes have to turn the engine off n back on for the rpms to drop down to abt 1000. Then it wants to lug down while im driving on the highway then it picks back up again

10

My jeepnhas done this a few times. It ended uo being the relay sensor or the throttle positioning sensor. Both are under 40 bucks and very easy to change.

Previously I changed the O2 sensors and throttle positioning sensor on my 2004 to fix idle issues. 2 years later having idle issues again the vehicle wants to idle at 1500 - 2000 RPM. Should I replace fuel filter and fuel pump?

I was experiencing da same problem until I found out theres a fuel filter & theres a fuel pressure regulator on my 04 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I changed out the fuel pumps 5-5 times in 2weeks because I installed a fuel fil5er instead of a fuel pressure regulator. Looks the same but different name & different part #. Price is different too. I wasn't getting any pressure after the fuel filter but before the filter I was getting good reading. If you take off the fuel filter or pressure regulator blow air into the inlet & barely block the outlet. If it's good, there will be no air coming out on return line. Hope it helps you out. I thought the fuel pumps we're bad til I made this discovery. Now it runs like a gazelle.

10

What would cause my 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo to stall out on the freeway after 20 30 miles and then have rough idle until it cools off and it runs fine

Could be a faulty coolant sensor sending false signal to the computer

My jeep grand Cherokee Laredo didn't start today the first time I tried to start it. It started the second time. Any ideas. Its been idling rough. I just had started replaced and new battery put in not too long ago. Hoping its not a fuel pump problem