Stalling and rough idle problem.

350

Asked by Nov 09, 2011 at 08:50 PM about the 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD

My 2002 Grand Cherokee 4.0l recently started  having rough idle problems. I did a tune up..changed the plugs.....replaced the coil rail.....air filter.....gas filter. The idle is still rough and now it stalls suddenly. It has stalled while I was highway driving.....sitting at a light...ect. It doesn't seem to be the fuel pump as I can hear it come on when I turn the key. Anyone have any ideas what it could be?

Thanks!

Dolfan

3,315

If you can HEAR the fuel pump, then that might be the issue. Normally fuel pumps get really noisy when they are beginning to fail. Due to clogged fuel filters the pump fails soon after. Replace both or get the fuel pressure checked at the fuel rails on the engine. Other possible issues could be crank sensor or intake MAF sensor. Wouldn't hurt to take some MAF sensor cleaner to it and also clean out your throttle bottle. I think there is a idle control sensor in the throttle body near the butterfly valve. Check that too.

350

Thanks Matt. I changed out my cranksaft postion sensor. I got the error code off the odometer and AutoZone said it was the sensor. I just swapped it out so we'll see if it stalls again. If not I'll look into the fuel pump. Thanks again. I'll let you know how it goes.

350

I have had no more stalling or rough idling so I guess it was the crankshaft sensor. Thanks again for the response Matt.

3,315

You're welcome.

100

I had a similar problem with my 2000; finally solved with new fuel filter. the fuel filter is also the fuel pressure regulator.

80

Just so I understand, on a 2002 jeep Cherokee the fuel pressure regulator is inside the fuel filter ???

110

My 2004 grand jeep stalls out when I stop at a light what could it be

80

Ive the same problem .. just changed the crank sensor .. Still stalls and no break and steering also freezes .. Its very dangerous .. Sbody pls help . Can it be the mass sensor ??

70

I have a 1988 jeep cherokee n it has a rough idle n a miss. It starts up fine n sometimes the rpms well stay at 3000 rpms. I sometimes have to turn the engine off n back on for the rpms to drop down to abt 1000. Then it wants to lug down while im driving on the highway then it picks back up again

10

My jeepnhas done this a few times. It ended uo being the relay sensor or the throttle positioning sensor. Both are under 40 bucks and very easy to change.

Previously I changed the O2 sensors and throttle positioning sensor on my 2004 to fix idle issues. 2 years later having idle issues again the vehicle wants to idle at 1500 - 2000 RPM. Should I replace fuel filter and fuel pump?

I was experiencing da same problem until I found out theres a fuel filter & theres a fuel pressure regulator on my 04 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I changed out the fuel pumps 5-5 times in 2weeks because I installed a fuel fil5er instead of a fuel pressure regulator. Looks the same but different name & different part #. Price is different too. I wasn't getting any pressure after the fuel filter but before the filter I was getting good reading. If you take off the fuel filter or pressure regulator blow air into the inlet & barely block the outlet. If it's good, there will be no air coming out on return line. Hope it helps you out. I thought the fuel pumps we're bad til I made this discovery. Now it runs like a gazelle.

20

What would cause my 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo to stall out on the freeway after 20 30 miles and then have rough idle until it cools off and it runs fine

Could be a faulty coolant sensor sending false signal to the computer

My jeep grand Cherokee Laredo didn't start today the first time I tried to start it. It started the second time. Any ideas. Its been idling rough. I just had started replaced and new battery put in not too long ago. Hoping its not a fuel pump problem

20

So i have had the same issue.2002 jeep grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0 The fix for me for the high idle was the throttle position sensor (TPS) <--- easy fix, but still had errors and misfires. Getting codes for coils and or computer. I opend up the fuse box after a month of not finding the problem and wiggled around the injector fuse. Stalled the engine. So i cleaned out the fuse slot that did have corrosion in it . it now says running but ever once in a while it sputters . I am going to look at all the connections in the fuse box this weekend and ill report if i find the fix.Im affraid i put a bad Engine position sensor in it. So far i have changed out the TPS, Engine and cam position sensor, The computer and spark plugs.

I’ve got an 03 GC 4.0 i6 and twice in the last 2 weeks it has stalled while idling. First time was while stopped at a light and second time was last night in my driveway maybe 30 seconds after I started it and put it in drive to pull into garage. I’m going to get a fuel filter replaced and an oil change and see if that helps at all. Anyone have any ideas what else it could be if that doesn’t work?

20

@Evan03WJ do you have any error codes when it stalls or engine light on ? You can (on my jeep at least ) turn the key to the on position 3 times without turning the engine over ( accessory position before it cranks over ) and leave it there on the third turn of key. It will display any error codes on your digital display where your miles are. youtube link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV4-3o1lsN0

@Michael yeah I just figured that trick out and got P 0320 which upon further investigation means Distributor/Crankshaft position sensor is bad. The symptoms listed include dying when idling so I’m going to try that instead. Hopefully this should work.

20

I got that same error P 0320 the cam sensor is easy to replace but the crank sensor is kinda of a pain. DO not get the cheaper one. get a mopar OEM one. I now have to replace the 55$ one after only 2 days it was bad. i got with this one a on amazon .https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006EFTQJG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00? ie=UTF8&psc=1 also there is a way to get to it from under the dash. its not to bad this way. I tied a string around the old one when i pulled it out and attached it to the new one . so i could get the wire harness to the passenger side. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2q2Q4X-RP3s

Jeep 2000 Cherokee kept stalling and just simply cutting out while I was driving. Changed out the PCM for about $170. It was super easy to install. Dealers and mechanics will tell you $1,500. Pure rip-off. Do it yourself and as I said, super easy to do. Still was giving me the same issues. Read that it could be the Crank Shaft Position Sensor. I purchased one at Advance Auto Parts for about $40 dollars and had it installed for $53 dollars at Tire Choice. Better having them install as it's a bear to get to and simply easier for them at that price. Jeep has been running awesome since changing out the part. Hope this helps.

20

yea just be careful. i got that same one or a after market Crank Position Sensor. had to swap it out for an Original Jeep one, Because it was faulty. IMO its better to spend the extra 35$ for a good one.

I have an 02 Grand Cherokee with a 4.0 IL6 and yes, the fuel pressure regulator is combined with the filter under the vehicle in front of the fuel tank. However, I also have a pressure regulator at the fuel rail! does this mean someone swapped the engine with an older model? I bought this used from a private party. I never heard of any vehicle using 2 fuel pressure regulators. Has anyone ever saw or heard of this?