2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Heat/AC fan not working.

dolfan
260

Asked by Oct 22, 2011 at 11:22 PM about the 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo

My 2002 Grand Cherokee Heater/AC fan has stopped working. I turn the knob but get nothing. Also my light for on my AC button has stopped lighting up. The doors open and close normally. It was working yesterday and today nothing. Any ideas of what this may be?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Kevin Trathen
75

Sounds like a relay or fuse

Matt Mankinen
2,545

First check fuses, then relays, next would be using a multimeter to check specific tolerances (voltage, ohms) that should be at the plug wires. Or apply a 12v source directly to the fan wire to see if it comes on.

dolfan
260

The fuses are fine. Where are the relays? Is that the resistor? Thanks again!

dolfan
260

Ok Guys, I changed the resistor and still nothing. Tomorrow I'll change out the blower motor itself and hope thats it. Any other things it might be? Mike

Matt Mankinen
2,545

Fan relay is behind the passenger side head light http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/188069_02grncherokeeradfanrelay_1.jpg?iact=hc&vpx=1041&vpy=147&dur=4062&hovh=210&hovw=240&tx=147&ty=126&sig=114094867369197356122&ei=oNWsTqjgFMrSiALCytXtCg&page=1&tbnh=145&tbnw=165&start=0&ndsp=19&ved=1t:429,r:5,s:0

Matt Mankinen
2,545

If you want to test the fan motor just unplug it and run two wires from the battery + & - terminals directly to the positive and ground wires of the plug

Matt Mankinen
2,545

I may be thinking about your fan on the radiator and not the fan motor behind the vents under your dash or center console. From my experience with Mercedes is that the fan motor is controlled through a regulator or rectifier that is a integrated circuit with a heat shield or fins on it to help keep it cooler. These are common to wear out because heat and electronics are not good together. I did a quick search and here's a site on climate controls for your model Cherokee http://www.wjjeeps.com/climate.htm

dolfan
260

Hey Matt Thanks for the replys. I took the blower motor out and hot wired it and it was fine. I have no power going to the plug on either the resistor or the blower motor. I do have power to the fuse. I'm leaning towards the switch behind the knob itself. Does this sound feasible or should I be looking elsewhere? Again I appreciate the help. It's cold here in the Northeast of PA.

Matt Mankinen
2,545

Sounds like the controls are worth checking out. Was anything spilled on the dash in the past? I assume if it was purchased used you'd have no idea. Maybe spray some electronics cleaner in there. That might do the trick.

dolfan
260

I'll check them out tomorrow. I bought it brand new so I know nothings been spilled in there. Does the face plate on the control panel just pop off?

Matt Mankinen
2,545

I doubt that. You may have to remove some trim panels to get access then some screws. Usually the trim pieces are held on by screws you can't see or facing downward and or are near the ash tray. If you have access to a wrecking yard, like I do, I usually go there and practice on similar cars instead of breaking stuff on mine. lol ;) Or just search Jeep forums.

dolfan
260

Hey Matt, well I finally figured it out. Before I headed into tearing the dash apart I followed the fuse diagram you sent me the link to. Turns out it was fuse #20 which controls the turn signals and heat/ac as well. This is not listed in my Jeep owners manual. I replaced the blown fuse and viola! everything working again. Thanks again for the help and the links! Very appreciated!!!!!

Matt Mankinen
2,545

That's good to hear. Next time you'll know to double check the fuses. Good luck

dolfan
260

Now I know. Thanks again!

Sumar786
25

Hi, I'm having the same problem with my 2002 Jeep GCL. I'm reading your thread and am wondering that if it was fuse#20 which you said controls the turn signals and heat/ac then wouldnt your turn signals not work either? I'm going to check my fuses this eve and hope that fixes the issue.

Stephen10233
10

my airconditioner went it was the relay switch and fan on my Cherokee 2002

Jaimisson
90

I have a 2006 jeep grand Cherokee the ac and heat has stopped working it won't blow out nothing had someone check it out today and everything checked out fine due you no what it could be

mkruchkow94
0

I have 2001 Jeep GCL, the ac went out yesterday. The heat also is not working. What could this be?