2001 jeep grand cherokee wont stay running past idle

10

Asked by Jul 17, 2016 at 10:02 AM about the 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD

I tried to replace the car radio in my jeep, I did not disconnect the ground
(negative) only the positive from the battery, now my car will not stay turned
on past idle, it will idle for 30 seconds and then shut off.
Did I mess up the alternator by not disconnecting the battery properly or do
I just need to replace a fuse? I also cut all the wires so I am worried that I
may have caused an issue there somehow.

31,525

Check the battery connections they need to be clean and tight. Which wires did you cut? That may be the problem.

14,115

NO, you don't just replace a fuse! Do you see how fast I answered your question? Call the AAA roadside assistance or someone else who can tow your car to a professional mechanic to find out what's wrong. When was the last time you had your car serviced? The blown fuse is the result of the problem, but, it's not the problem. You have to find out what caused it to fail.

14,115

By the way, installation of a radio or other mobile electronics is NOT as easy as it might seem. If you don't have the technical expertise to do this, hire a professional.

31,525

Radios are actually very easy to install if you use the proper wiring adapters. Never cut the factory wiring.

14,115

Everything is easy when you know what to do. The fact that this person thought that these problems could be solved with just replacing a fuse signals that they don't have a clue. As far as radio installations are concerned- if you really do it right, you'll have a separate amplifier installed in the car with a separate head unit in the dashboard and run all the wires to the trunk concealed in the car. This is way more complicated and more difficult than you might think. Yeah, if you just unplug and replace the in-dash radio and remove and replace existing wiring, maybe it's more cut and dried, but, she didn't even do that in this case. Again, it's sometimes better to realize that a job like this is better handled by a professional.

14,115

Plus, don't even get me started on replacement of speakers.....yes, a 15 years old car probably has blown speakers. What's the point of installing a new sound system without replacing the speakers? Maybe it's time to skip all this and get a newer car? After all, 2001 is almost 16 years ago. Speakers generally don't last this long .

31,525

Actually it is NOT all that difficult. Maybe you need to clean your glasses, the original poster did not say she blew a fuse, but was asking whether the problem might be a fuse. Certainly the person making the original post likely should not be working on their car.

14,115

Bob, your right, she suspected and brought up the inappropriate question about replacing the fuse, maybe she did blow it? BUT, there's no denying that she DISABLED her car!

31,525

Yup, if wires need to be cut get someone that knows what they are doing to do the install. Also to the OP...it makes no difference which battery cable you disconnect (negative is preferred), but I prefer to disconnect both when working on the electrical system.

10

Hi there! Thanks so much for the response ... I have had plenty of experience installing radios and have never run into this problem before, I have always cut the wires and spliced them myself, never used a connector harness however I am not a professional nor have delt with this specific type of vehicle, I contacted my guy who usually services the engine etc but he is currently out of town so with his help and yours, I thought I would try to troubleshoot it before he got back, he will be coming with his computer to read what's going on if these tricks do not work... He did say the same as you Bob that it could possibly be because I did not attach the battery connectors properly

10

And the fuse was because I saw on another forum that this could be an issue so I brought it up, Mark, are you always this .... Not nice?

10

Mark, I do have a seperate amp under the back seat, no real trunk because it's all cargo space back there and I'm not putting in subs, I had an old iroc z that I did all that in

Billie Jean Hardin.....wow never thought I'd see you again. You've done well for yourself. I bet you don't remember me. You were 21 I was 20. Lake Jackson Texas. Our mutual friend was Veronica. If you remember hit me up to see. Verbal_kent79@yahoo.com.au