A/C issue. Every time the compressor comes on it cause my discharge hose to fill and pop. Any suggestions?

Asked by Jul 22, 2014 at 01:23 PM about the 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD

Replace the hose! It could be blocked.

I have both times it's blown. Refilled with pag oil and 134a. When it get enough freon for the a/c to kick on, the hose stretches then pops and out goes all the oil and freon..

The discharge hose connects the outlet of the compressor to the inlet of the condenser. You might have as bad condenser. If it has moisture in it, it won't work properly. If you replace it you should replace the receiver drier and/or accumulator too, and possibly whatever metering device is present in your make/model - which might be an orifice tube or expansion valve. You could have any number of problem parts - condenser, drier, accumulator, metering device... There's a few times when letting a shop handle the repairs are worth it, and AC repairs are one of those.

Forgot to mention one of the more obvious places to check, is your hose connection to the condenser. If it's a worm-drive clamp, that might be your problem as those are better for low-pressure hoses. You need a crimped fitting. Check those fittings again, and check or replace the expansion valve.

Thanks Kenf. I know it has a condenser and a orifice hose. The clutch itself is attached to the compressor so it has to be something past the discharge hose. There is also a connection to that as well so hoping it's not electrical. I think you are right about having a professional look at it. Thanks again

Honestly when I first read your question I thought you mean the hose was rupturing, but now I see you meant it was popping off the condenser - correct? You have to watch the type of connection fitting, it might be something as simple as a bad o-ring. If you're certain you have a good connection, then start eliminating the condenser, accumulator, drier receiver, and metering device as good or bad. The condenser is the most expensive and difficult to replace and you wont likely have the tools at home to test it. It's also expensive to keep replacing components and losing/recharging refrigerant every time.

Not popping off the condenser, it's actually rupturing in the same spot on all the discharge hoses I've put on that attaches to compressor and condenser.

Did you figure out your problem? My jeep is doing the exact same thing.