Terrible sound when starting my Jeep Grand Cherokee

Asked by Sep 18, 2016 at 01:43 AM about the 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD

My jeep keeps dying and making an awful sound when I start it. It's a loud grinding sound. The car will start easily about 3 times over the course of a couple hours after it's been jumped and then stop starting all together. I think it may be the alternator, but I am not sure. Can you please give me a place to start?

Thank you,

Malia

17,465

Other than the bad battery and possible alternator causing the dying and having to jump it off and maybe battery terminals bad too, the last time I heard that a auto was making a awful grinding noise when starting it was a starter to flywheel issue with bad teeth either on the flywheel or the starter or starter not disengaging which will destroy the teeth on both. Stop trying to start this Jeep and get it professionally diagnosed.

40

Does it start and and stall on you?

It starts and stays running about 3 times. Over the next couple hours I will periodically start it and it will crank, but not start. Eventually it doesn't crank and completely stops starting all together.

247,175

An awful sounds is where you need to start. Once you have it started, have someone inspect the engine bay with the hood up to determine where the sound is coming from. I suspect it might be in the serpentine belt area putting a draw on your engine draining the battery and effecting the alternator. Also have the battery tested after the fix, it might need replacing or a good charge.

Thank you for your answers. I'm going to check to see if there is resistance when I spin the idle pulley. I'm trying to narrow down what the problem might be before taking it to a mechanic. I don't want to get charged an outrageous diagnosis fee. Do you think getting a volt meter would help identify whether it's the battery or an alternator problem?

247,175

OF course, if you have a Harbor Freight tools in your area, you can get a voltmeter for $6 or borrow a friends. 12.3V engine off, around14V with engine on. Most batters last 4-6 years. If your is older, than 6 years, a good time to replace.

Okay, thanks a lot Tom. I believe there is a stick on the battery that says 7/16 so maybe I should look into replacing it soon. I do worry a bit about the connection on the negative side of the battery. It wiggles just a tiny bit even after I tighten it. I will look into getting a volt meter.

247,175

I'd purchase a new cable or clamp if you can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MST70gP4K8&feature=youtu.be Here I posted a video of the sound. Check out the link.