2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee

110

Asked by Dec 31, 2014 at 03:07 AM about the 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD

I have a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee the check engine light came on as misfire cylinder 3
I fixed that replaced the coil pack and spark plugs the the check engine came on for 02
sensors I fixed those also so I fixed everything that it said now the check engine light
keeps coming on with same problems but now my oil smells like fuel I been told I need a
computer anyone else had this problem

90,545

I would check the fuel pressure regulator first, for your oil to smell like fuel, something has to be leaking, pressure regulator or fuel injectors, I have seen injector drivers fail and turn on the injectors full pulse width But that usually floods out the engine, starts blowing black smoke then it stalls and fill the cylinders with fuel, just a big mess. Have you tried a hard ECM reset?

110

So u say to check the fuel regulater and how would I check the injectors if they leaking now today I also noticed that my oil pressure dropped down to almost 0 could that also be the oil pump maybe needs to be replaced I'm running out of options and so confused that I don't know what to do

90,545

If you have fuel in your oil it will thin it out so much that the oil pressure will drop, not a good idea to even try to start it until it is fixed, you could blow the oil pan and or the valve covers right off the engine. You will need a fuel pressure tester for your rig, find the test port on the pressure side of the fuel rail, just cycle the key a few times on and off and watch the fuel pressure, compare your readings with specs and repair if required, after that do the same thing, after the fuel pressure has reached the max pressure turn the key off and watch the fuel pressure, it should drop a few lbs then stop, if it doesn't stop then you have a pressure leak, then you will have to track it down, first block of the fuel return line and repressurise the system, if the pressure holds then you have a bad fuel pressure regulator, if the pressure does not hold then you have leaking injectors, I would replace them all at this point as they are all the same age and you fix one now a few weeks later you will be right back there replacing another. After all that is done, change the oil and filter, you may want to change it again in a few hundred miles cause the fuel will have loosened up crud in the block and all that get caught by the filter plugging it up and creating another problem. Vicious cycle I know.

110

Ok I have fuel pressure did what u said now how do I go about doing the Ecm reset

90,545

Disconnect a battery cable, it doesn't make any difference what one you choose, turn on the headlight switch, make sure the switch is on and not in Auto position, wait at least 30 seconds to 1 minute, turn off the headlight switch, reconnect the battery cable, start engine and drive as you normally would, this should take about 15 minutes of drive time. If the check engine light turns back on then you have a hard fault so that will have to be repaired before you can go much further. Was the fuel pressure stable or is it leaking down? Make sure you change that oil and filter before doing any of the above if it is as bad as you say.

110

Ok we did the reset truck seems better didn't drive yet but the oil pressure still dropping so my guess is to replace the oil pump it hasn't been changed yet and the truck is 2001 do u think the oil pump is no good

90,545

You need to install an manual oil pressure gauge to make that verification, you could have a bad sender or a gauge.

110

Ok if I plug one of those in and oil drops what does that mean I'm sorry to be a pain in the but lol thanks so much for your help

90,545

It will mean that you could have a failing oil pump or excessive bearing clearances.

110

Ok we did the reset and the check engine light came back on with same codes again I am out of options at this point

90,545

Did you do do the injector bleed down and regulator test that I mentioned before?

110

Yes we did do that and was fine

90,545

Ok then your going to have to go deeper than most home mechanics can go, unless you have access to a Chrysler DRB usually only dealers have these but a few independent shops have sprung for the costs. This will be able to check your rig with the factory settings as the vehicle is running, could be a bad circuit or ground causing the whole problem.

110

Can I just check the ground myself with a tester And I he circuit I am Putting a new oil pump in tomorrow

90,545

Sure, as long as you know where they are all located and have an ohm meter with long enough cables, but the other systems are very hard to test without proper equipment at this point in time.

110

We did the oil pump and good now I just have to get the oil pressure switch tomorrow once I start driving we will see how everything goes

40

very simple fix, your jeep should of had a heat shield on that side of motor, that stops all your problems HEAT SHIELD on top of motor especially around cylinder 3