no crank no start only in the mornings

10

Asked by Jan 25, 2015 at 02:17 PM about the 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD

2000 jeep grand cherokee, has a no crank, no start problem only first start in the
mornings, had the ingnition switch replaced, now what

8,150

put the old one back in. look up the tsb's and recalls for jeeps at the library. rewire to simplify, or check your cables. I find stuff wrong at bth ends of both cables, the power distrib center, fuses etc all the time. You need clean battery posts, cables that dont drop voltage, good connections, and a ground when you are through. The ignition coil bracket may be painted and not in good continuity with the block. Then you need power on the start enable wire at the starter, because your neutral switch sends it there. Your starter has to be grounded by surface contact at the bell housing. Normally I would not list all these gems but it is a jeep. Everything would be suspect. Even their manuals. Read their updates if you start reading at all.

10

I had a dealer replace it cant put it back in, I forgot to mention that it only happens when starting it the first time in the day when it is cold out, on warm days I do not have this problem. Any Ideas

8,150

Oh, you did not say what engine it has. or what trans. After the basics for temp related connection trouble. Be sure you are clear for recalls and tech bulletin info. I believe your fuses are on the right behind the panel at the floor. Be sure your brake lights work or it could all be over very quickly.

10

yes all work, it is a v8, 4.7, quadradrive, 4X4

8,150

Cold can affect your connections enough to be the causal factor when a connection is in that condition. sticky starter relay and starter that responds to being tapped on as well. Neutral switch ot TR sensor can be out of range. or have resistance. I recommend consulting the mitchell database at your library. Start with NS1. And NC1 tests and go step by step. You can print a page for a quarter. After you map out your diagnosis, you can write down the specs. Connection trouble is often found during wiggle tests. If you do not own a DVOM of your own.

8,150

Jeep stuff is not the same every year, espec. wiring. printing and taping together a schematic may be helpful.

have you found a fix for it yet