No tail lights, all fuses good and replaced bulbs, have R lights,brake,turn ect.

Asked by Aug 26, 2012 at 01:52 AM about the 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

just have no tail lights and fuses checked out.

110

Hey, just saw your problem, having the same problems here, swapped out lights and sockets. Brake lights work sometimes, then when headlights are on, step on the brakes and they all go out! If you've found any help please let me know, Txguy in maryland

1,495

Sounds like grounding issues.

110

Alright, will check it out from that angle! Thanks bud!

9,035

The problem is the tail lamp assm. itself. Ive seen several of these.....

20

Having similar issues I replaced the back up light and the turn signal bulb but they still dont work. Head lights work rear pass turn signal light works, and break lights work. I think its eletrical I found some connections under the bench seat behind the driver seat that there were two wires not connected to anything. and the left turn signal light is always on on the dash. Think i should replace the fuses or something else> I have a 95 jeep grand charokee larado that was not properly taken care of by the previous owner. He did say though that the clicker for the left turn signal had been replaced before. mike

240

Its the heat from the bulb. Badly designed rear light assembly. Bulb melts plastic around points. You can try (A) solution which might only be temporary, or (B) buy a new, improvedrear light assembly for around $40. (A) 1) The cause of the problem is heat from the bulb. 2) Remove the light assembly as if you were going to change a bulb. 3) Turn the socket and remove it from the taillight assembly and set it aside(check to be sure your bulb is not burnt out). 4) Look at the opening, you will see 3 flat chrome colored contacts on the assembly. 5) Notice the one by it self at the top of the opening, that is the “ground”. 6) If you look closely you will notice the plastic around the ground contact has shrunk a little bit, this caused the contact to pull away from the socket, causing the problem. 7) With a small flat head screwdriver, VERY GENTLY pry up the contact so it stays slightly upward by itself. 8) Re-insert the bulb assembly back into the housing and press your brake petal with your lights on. 9) You should be in good to go! 10) Tools: Phillips head screwdriver and a small flat head screwdriver. 11) Time : 5 minutes per light (B) http://www.amazon.com/TYC-11-5276-00-Cherokee-Replacement- Assembly/dp/B0031I3TNI/ref=lh_ni_t_mi? ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AHIM67Z9GO6HA

similar problems.... I am going to change the brake light switch.

I changed bulbs in left tail light of a 2000grand Cherokee the blinker doesn't work

Flasher relay maybe

10

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee rear turn signal not working sometimes, if it's warmer our (50 degrees or higher it usually works. I've changed the bulbs. This little issue is keeping me from getting a legal inspection. HELP!

i just used did a continuity check and my break light switch was bad

5

Drivers side rear brake light does not work when the headlights are on. Did some checking and didn't see anything wrong in the light assembly itself. Started playing around and found out that when the light switch assembly(on column) is positioned to the AUTO position, the break lights work properly, Still have to make sure the headlights come on in that position. Will follow up with more when I find out.

10

My 2004 grand cherokee is acting all sorts of crazy im really convinced that its always had some sort of electrical issue somewhere that hasnt been found yet. The current issue im battling is a brake light. tail lights work but not brake one side or the other intermittently. I started on drivers side (passenger still worked) changed all the bulb and 2 of the connectors worked for a week then when it stopped again I dropped it at mechanic because i was too frustrated. He changed the circuit board in light and its been great for 6months. Passenger side just did the same thing so i started at the beginning with a bulb put it in hit the break to test ANDDDDDD the drivers went back to square one lololol WHYYY Now i dont want to change all that other stuff because was that even the issue if the drivers side is doing it again? all I found in fuses was a blown BCM #26 I believe im sure that will be another can of worms I went and picked up some wire brushes and when i was taking the lights off again to clean everything they are working again but blew i a bulb that I just put in yesterday. Is this happening to anyone else? Im not sure WHY it never dawned on me that every issue this jeep has had could most definatley be traced back to an electrical issue or short? Ground?! The brake lights are only a fraction of my problems! Would be good to know what others have done to fix similar issues.

5

I am \ convinced that it is "SOME SORT OF GROUNDING PROBLEM. I did find out that putting the switch into the AUTO position does not solve the problem. It actually worked at one point during the day when I tried it. However, In the AUTO position (during the day time) the lights are still not on. I tried it after it became dark and the light did come on, which presented the same problem with the brake light again. I talked to some others and the problems seems to be associated with the circuit board, All I talked to mentioned that when they changed it, the problem went away for a while. Still doesn't solve the problem, but it does remedy it temporarily. MY next step is to get an Electrical Schematic for the car and do some research on it.