I have little to no air flow out of my vents.

20

Asked by Sep 22, 2015 at 05:31 PM about the 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD

I have little to no air flow out of my vents. I
have already checked and fixed what i
thought was the main problems. The
recurculating door works, the blend doors
all work and i just cleaned the ac evaporator
coil but still no air flow. The last thing i can
try is getting a new blower motor resistor.

69,655

The resistor is the most common part that goes out. You can check the blower motor by running a separate power line to it, it should run full blast when you do this.

20

The fan does work but very little airflow even on high. I even used a garden hose to try and flush any crud out a second time and still NO SUCCESS.

69,655

So you are saying the blower motor works from low to high? If so it would not be the resistor. There is some obstruction some where, not sure on those if there is a cabin filter or not, something to check into, a parts store could tell you unless some one here knows for sure.

20

No there isn't they didn't make cabin filter in jeeps from 1997 to 2009 or something like that so thats why i was spraying the AC evaporator coil because there was a lot of dirt and debris. One of the dumb moves or smart i guess on Chrysler so it breaks down quick and are forced to pay 2000 to get the AC and heater coils replaced.

10

The blend air doors are broken. You will still be hearing the door actuator moving but the doors are not working. There are 2 fix's on YouTube. 1 is to cut into the box going thru the glove box and the other is taking the entire dash, council, stearing wheel and the entire HVAC box out and splitting it open to replace the doors. If you do that I recommend replacing the heating core and resister and maybe even the heater motor. You can replace the heater motor from the bottom I believe but once it is all out of there you don't want to have to go back and do it again for something else. The AC evaporator is not as important as it doesn't fail like the heater core can from all the water and corrosion moving thru it. If people would change their anti freeze or use chemicals to prevent corrosion then that would not happen.

10

I replaced the blower motor resistor/ controller several years ago but have had very poor air flow since. Now after reading several forums, I checked the blend door problems but they appeared fine. I could find no obstructions. The fan engaged into high.After reading on jeep garage.org... of some having the blower fan running the the wrong direction I checked and sure enough my fan was turning the wrong way. I give fault to the resistor/controller being wired wrong as when it is installed the wire clips can only go together one way. I had to cut the lead wires (green and brown I think) to the blower motor and reverse the wires. The blower now turns the correct way and air flow is restored. bygeorge

20

Had the same problem with my 2001 Grand Cherokee. Blower was on, heat was hot, but weak / no air coming from vents. Pulled dash, blend doors were fine. Replaced 4 actuators (at least 2 were dead), blend doors worked perfectly. Found broken vacuum hose under battery platform going into reservoir, replaced that (my cruise control started working). Cleared check valve in vacuum line near firewall, got a bit of air blowing but still not enough. Finally after reading your idea here, pulled the blower motor to check direction of flow. Never considered the fan might be blowing the wrong way! But that was it - it was not blowing up into the VAC system. Reversed the green and brown wires and it started blowing strong through the vents, the defroster and floor vents. AWESOME! Thank you

69,655

This is interesting Premio_2162, is this the way it was wired from the factory or for some reason were the wires cut and wired back incorrectly?

20

Not sure. Somebody was working on HVAC before, worked on blend doors as they looked aftermarket. Couldn't tell about the blower but when we reversed the wires it blew with volume through the ducts, whereas before it was sucking air down and just a trickle came from through the ducts. Unexpected cause of the problem, pretty easy solution.

10

Check if Air flows from the defrost vents below the windshield. If it does, and no matter what U do, then the vacuum hose on engine side is not fitted on the Vacuum pipe there. Just fit it back to fix the problem !

I read somewhere that blower motors were wired incorrectly at factory that supplied them? IE you could plug them straight into jeep plug which only connects one way- but they still run backwards! Prise out purple plug on blower side plug wire then pull out wires from plug and reverse them- SOLVED

20

Hi Guys ....Premio.....i have the same problem with my 2001 jeep grand cherokee. It sounds the same...getting some air but not nearly enough.im no mechanic so i have a question for you. do i have to cut the wires? If i can switch the wires without cutting can you explain how? Please explain the process for me. Thank you very much. This problems been driving me nuts.

69,655

Just pull out the blower motor before cutting any wires, and see if it is turning in the right direction.

Dont need to do that ,just grab wires at harness plug- pull out and reverse wires with long nose pliers!

2004 Grand Cherokee, Same thing, I had very little flow even when fan was on high. Took off the blower motor and looked up intp the intake. The flapper that controls outside air or recirculate was broken off of the hings and completely covered the intake. Jammed the flapper open. Works now but I get 1/2 outside air and 1/2 recirculated air. better than B4

Had same problem,the flapper broke off,I duct tapped the flapper door tightly to the intake and the air flow now blast out on high.