Jeep wont fire back up.

Asked by Jul 17, 2015 at 05:01 PM about the 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD

Hey all,

So I recently bought a used 2000 jeep grand cherokee, and have been having nothing
but problems with it. But the current one.... lets just say I am at wits end with this
thing and would really appreciate any advice before I haul this thing back to the
mechanic or dealer (again). Also, please forgive if I sound frustrated, I just don't really
know what it could be.

History:
None of the issues happened till I have driven the car for about 4 weeks.

Sense I owned the jeep, I have had to have the fuel pump replaced due to some
exposed wires with the connection, it fried the pump. I got that replaced and it worked
fine for a few days. (Done by an independent mechanic, not associated with any major
autoshops.)

Then, the jeep began stalling out while driving, the engine completely losing power and
the a few seconds after, the gauges dying, but all the lights and radio still worked. MY
mechanic thought that it might be the crank sensor, so I had that replaced along with
the CAM sensor. Worked fine for about a day.

Then, it did the same thing as before, the engine would die while driving, and then it
wouldn't start back up at all, but sound like it was cranking. After trying a few times, it
would start back up but my SKIM dashboard light would be on. Took it to the dealer
and after three days of looking at the electrical wiring, found corroded wires going into
my throttle sensor. Worked fine all day today and yesterday perfectly going to work
and home.

Decided I was gonna go fill the gas tank up, and when I started it the car was shaking
pretty badly while idling, but reving the engine up got rid of it. (So, first thought goes to
the fuel pump again, bad installation). Turn it off, back on, runs perfectly, drove it
around then parked it. Go to turn it back on and now it wont turn over. It cranks but
wont fully start, and it sounds like it wants to start.

Well, that's where I am at now, any advice on where to proceed will be greatly
appreciated. I have to leave for school soon which is a 10 hour drive, and I would
prefer to be able to take my new(new to me) vehicle up there rather then leave it at
home.)

I really do appreciate any advice that could be offered.

I should also add that the computer is not throwing any codes at all, and on the occasion that it is able to start, it sounds like not all the cylinders are firing and that the car wants to just shut off.

8,310

It could very likely be your brain, the ignition module is located inside, they have many electrical issues with poorly fitting connections in their harnesses. You must use crown automotive parts for everything, you can find them from an online source. a rig that age needs them all updated. The brain can be found many ways, the harness can get baked or chafed or coolant leaks can foul the connections. You need a jeep specialist or you need to become one. The public library has an auto database, the service manual, wiring, and testing updates are available that way, or you can buy a manual for your own computer. If you cannot do this research and your fuel pump guy is not studious, you need real help. let me know if you find someone. I can fix one of those, but just if the customer has even a basic limited understanding that it is a POS. Then he needs to be resourceful and call some yards to see if his parts can be found known to be good to use. That saves thousands. he can also find a supplier that guarantees them for life, that saves hundreds. To understand, you need to do inspections and research so you would be on the same page. dont use aftermarket garbage, it has to be backed, and the latest update, or you keep spending over and over. Used stuff is cheap enough to chance it, you can also bring your old stuff to the yard and match it up. The wrecking yards are full of them... G ? I wonder why, try NHTSA for that one. see what you want to do about yours.You currently have start/die or start/run/die that can be an antitheft issue, but the rest of your story screams ignition module and sensors/ harness/ tuneup. read up try to simplify NS-1 thru NS-8 in the library database were the tests I needed after research, updates, and recalls were out of the way.

8,310

Service bulletins can offer clues about your concerns and they often contain parts updates, these may or may not be included in aftermarket parts you may buy or have already bought. u-tube vids can demonstrate sensor testing if you want to play technician.

8,310

The one you are working on is a little newer and the specific things I learned can be a little different. but for dam sure, check basic electrical with battery, cables, connections, grounds, test them, run real tests for voltage drop, excessive resistance. maintenance all the connections or scrape paint off and make grounds pass an ohmmeter. This vehicle will have so many problems that make test results seem erroneous, it can make you half as crazy a i am. When you see corrosion, or looseness, paint, half assed stuff, or a recall or bulletin applies, it must be corrected.

8,310

If you have that spark runner that installs on all the plugs on the passenger side of a six cylinder, you can unplug it at the rear of the engine and remove it for individual component testing with an ohmmeter. It normally sets a misfire code, though, just as cam and ckp sensors would. If this is all caused by antitheft you would expect a warning about it. but I have heard reports from people saying they tripped their antitheft into allowing restart by unlocking from the passenger front door. you can tell more about what equipment is in use on yours and improve thew response from people, you can also shorten, simplify, and rewrite the question. include what systems and parts type are in use. then they are more likely to read it and it makes them think or remember what fixed theirs.

8,310

I saw one like yours I think, if I am guessing right, that the guy put his parts on wrong for his cam sensor, if you worked on anything, you could need to recheck your work. when a computer is unresponsive to interact with a codereader, the jeep can be made to read out in its message center. If it can't be made to give codes, the computer inputs, outputs, and wiggle test as well as the diagnostic connector may need to be checked. even fuses and relays can stop normal operation. You can read about it from a manual,on your home pc or get autodatabase info free from the library. at the library.

95

Does your car crank, fire briefly and die? If so leave ignition on after trying to start, see if front lights are flashing, if so definitely anti-theft system engaged. If you have the power door lock remote lock and unlock doors a couple of times without trying to start the car. I don't know about the passenger door trick.

I have another update for everyone. I had the guy who put the fuel pump on head on over and it still acted up, but after letting it run when it got started and it eventually died, I turned it back on again and it fired right up and ran perfectly, and putting it in gear didn't do anything to heart it. It did this for the next three time that I did it. Din't drive it around though just in case. I plan to call the dealership to see about replacing the ECU, but otherwise, I have no idea what could be causing the problems.

8,310

Now your symptom has changed then.hard start, runs eventually,dies,but restarts, when sitting. That's more information about a different mode of operation....you see it? now compare those changed factors to your previous symptoms and the mode(s) of operation when they occur. having test equipment connected when it does something helps note the reading(s) out of spec. The connection troubles, harness issues, or computer possibilities, but unable to run codes (unresponsive) will be no surprise to jeep. when they were new, jeep sent them to us where I worked because the parts in use were supposed to be the problem, but we found design issues and addressed them, then computer issues and then connectivity issues. That was just to get them into the bowl before flushing to a buyer. These things can have symptoms that are consistent or inconsistent. It used to take an engineer to correct the book in those days and help make it stay running. after its aged, been abused or neglected, or just well worn, you may have to go thru it all. I did. even the timing chain measured 37 deg. that's 37 degrees behind the timing of the piston for the valves and distributor. this means the computer learns to cover up the problem, but it can be all over the place when it wants to get baggy on start up....see it ? your rig is 4 years newer. but a pile of the same goodies and engineering with a few updates. This is why I suggest a group of parts to try from yards can be selected by your mech. thats cheap and you can plug them in for substitution. if you need a new chain its only twenty two bucks, and the water pump is about the same. both at autozone. dont let this thing make you crazy, good luck.

8,310

Once you have it acting up consistent and the tests run, you can substitute parts where readings and tests are confusing to everyone who tries. Finish the repair with Crown automotive sensors if you like and want to spend about the same but get the latest available. hi mileage base engine concerns, recalls, and bulletins. they need adressing. read up. If they have been done, great. But why is the yard full of them? You can read up on that if you havent at the NHTSA website. happy jeepin.