Seized brakes

Asked by Dec 28, 2010 at 05:03 PM about the 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

I put it in drive and the tires spin but the 1999 jeep grand cherokee lmt goes nowhere so im told the front brakes are seized. How would i go about doing this? If its only one piston do i still have to replace both? Ive never done anything like this before so any help would be appreciated. Can i put the whole front end up on blocks or jsut one side at a time?

335

you can lift both sides at once yes I would lift the vehicle and confirm that the brakes are locked up this seems exceedingly odd to me if the vehicle goes no where I would be inspecting the transmission and differential assemblies assuming it is the brakes i CLAIM NO REPONSIBILTIES FOR ANY REPAIRS and I am only putting you in the right direction I am no expert if it is the brakes you are going to need to overhaul the entire system most likely I am assuming the brake fluid is yellow or rusty in color if it is it is severely contaminated. contaminated brake fluid eats away at the rubber parts of the brake systems there for the parts you will be required to replace are: the master cylinder both front brake calipers both front brake hoses the rear brake hose both rear wheel cylinders(if drum calipers if disc) flush the brake system and replace fluid