I have air bag light on and warning bell goes off while driving.

5

Asked by Aug 21, 2013 at 11:36 AM about the 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo

Air bag light on, while driving a warning bell goes off every couple of minutes the seat belt
is being used or on.

An air bag issue is best, no not best, only to be worked on by professionals, they are dangerous. I don't know about any of the other Guru's, they will answer as they choose but even if I knew, which I don't would not give repair advice, we are talking serious injury DIY

86,675

Right David, this not a job for the novice or backyarder. Take it to a shop you trust and get it fixed.

60,975

Yup, I third that advice!! But, with the light on you can still safely drive your Jeep. The warning light and chime are telling you that the computer has found a problem in the airbag system and the airbags have been disabled. They WILL NOT deploy. Even in a collision. HTH -Jim

7,025

just curious, does it ding multipal times as your driving or just once?

5

hey thanks, and it only dings once while driving and a couple (3 or 4) when you start the vehicle.

6,435

regardless of how many times it dings, it should be checked out by a professional at a reputable shop. Your safety is important, airbags are not to be toyed with. I use to be a certified chrysler technician, our class on airbags and airbag safety was an eye opener.

7,025

Chris, As was I. I worked for Jeep since 86. I was a Master Tech. I have seen many of these ding due to bad clockspring. I do agree he should have a shop work on it. I was just curious.

6,435

if the clockspring is at fault most of the time the horn and cruise wont work either, but I do hear what you are tryin to say, the code should be driver squib circuit #1 open then. Good observation and by the way im not firing at you just want to make sure everyone stays safe out there.

7,025

absolutly.........

110

After having a broken wire in the door harness, my airbag and seatbelt lights came on. After getting the repair done, to reset these lights I disconnected the negative terminal on the battery with the ignition on. After 1 minute replace the terminal with the ignition still switched and the lights go out and reset the airbag.

20

i have talked to a repair shop and the problem is a seat belt tenser but both are tied into the same error codes. It is true that while both lights are on, the air bags will not deploy for any reason including a crash, also if you were to be in an accident, the computer in your vehicle will say you had your seat belt off even if you had it on. I have not gotten this fixed yet as it is extremely pricey.

40

Had a similar problem, turns out I just had a flashlight jammed under the passenger seat.

130

I found a Youtube video that showed to unclip the clips, spray the connection with WD40 and reclip. I knew it was likely the passenger side of my 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee since at one time it would go in and out when the seat was adjusted. It eventually stayed on all the time. I checked the connections and then left it since I had searched and it seemed an expensive repair. In any case, after I saw the video, I unclipped them, sprayed WD40 on them and reclipped. That was 6 months ago, and the light has functioned normally ever since.

50

Send link to video?

40

Mine turned out to be a 1L bottle of soda wedged under the seat. Has worked fine since removing it.

40

Dealership quoted me $900 to fix. Then come to find my puppy chewed the wire under my seat. I've herd this somewhere before....just the tip, riiiight?

My Snap-on screwdriver under my daughters drivers seat. See what happens when you dont return tools.