Brakes keep locking up after a few minutes of driving

50

Asked by Jul 23, 2017 at 10:08 AM about the 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo

Here's my problem, about a month ago my brake
booster went out, i replaced it, then my brakes kept
locking up after a few minutes of driving, i replaced
all of the hoses, the calipers, the pads, and rotors,
my brakes still kept locking up, i traced it to the
front driver's side brake caliper and replaced it a
second time,  that fixed it for about a month, this
morning my brakes locked up again, i really need
help with this.

38,035

You mention replacing everything except the master cylinder. A blown seal on a master cylinder can keep the piston from returning fully and eventually line pressure builds up. Check the master cylinder, the check valve, and be sure to bench bleed it before installing it. However this would cause more than one caliper to grab. If you're certain it's only one caliper locking up, try opening the bleeder up when that brake locks up and see if releasing the pressure frees up the brake, then you know where the problem is.

50

Thank you Ken, i am 100% positive that it's only one caliper locking up, it's the front driver's side brake caliper, i didn't have this problem until I replaced the brake booster, this is the second time I'm having this issue with the left front caliper, the first time I took the caliper off and took it back to the parts store and exchanged it, that solved it for about a month, now when that caliper locks up my pedal is rock hard, if i pull the vacuum hose off of the brake booster and hit the brakes a few times it will unlock the caliper, but after a few stops it will lock back up.

38,035

You have ABS on this too, right? Check the distribution block

50

I was really hoping for a different answer, you're not the only person to suggest it, i don't know much about ABS, I've never had an ABS issue with any vehicle

50

Well, i had the ABS checked, it's fine, i replaced the master cylinder yesterday just because it was the only part i didn't replace and it's still acting up, i can drive for a few miles and the pedal gets hard and the brakes start to apply themselves, i have to pull over and pull the vacuum hose off of the brake booster to get them to release, then plug the hose back in and continue driving, could it be that i bought a bad brake booster, i didn't have any of these problems until I replaced the brake booster.

10

My 2000 model grand cherokee started doing the same thing. After driving a short distance to the store. I would start back home and the abs light would come on and the jeep would actually stop by itself without me even applying the brakes.after letting it set for about an hour it would return to normal. Unfortunately my son forced the jeep home with brakes locked up and overheated them to the point that it destroyed the brakes and bearings. And since it will take over $1,200 to fix i have decided to just scrap it and sell it for parts. After investigating, i have learned that this was a common problem on the 2000 model grand cherokee. It is caused by a circuit on the abs system and the pump actually applies the brakes without you touching the brake pedal. Mine only has 81,000 miles but is not worth the price to fix it. Hope this information helps.