Brake caliper locking up

10

Asked by Jun 18, 2017 at 10:09 AM about the 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo

My front driver's side brake caliper keeps locking
up after a few minutes of driving, i have replaced
all pads and rotors, all brake hoses, both front
calipers, and the brake booster, and it's still locking
up, I'm out of solutions, any help or advice would
be greatly appreciated.

55,355

Sometimes the interior of the brake hose comes apart and acts like a one way valve holding pressure on the brake caliper. I would take a real close look at the brake hose that goes to the caliper that has the issue. Also make sure that the brake pedal is not binding and releasing fully to the top of it's stroke.

10

Bob, i definitely appreciate your help, i replaced the brake hoses and calipers yesterday, i know that sometimes you can get a defective part from the parts store, i didn't really want to mess with it anymore last night because my temper was getting the best of me, I'll go back through and triple check everything, it's just the one caliper that keeps locking up.

20,420

Are the caliper guide pins working ?

10

Yep, the guide pins are working

55,355

firebird brings up a good point. Caliper slide pins need to be free from wear and properly lubricated using a silicone brake grease to keep them from sticking. Also since you replaced the brake booster the linkage needs to be properly adjusted so that the brake pedal and the rod that goes into the booster is not partially applying the brakes. Some are adjustable and I am not sure if your vehicle is or is not.

10

I'm not 100% sure if the booster is adjustable or not, but i never had this problem until I replaced the booster, as soon as I replaced the booster i started having theses issues, i thought it was the hoses so i replaced them yesterday, that didn't stop the problem, so i replaced the calipers also yesterday, and it's still locking up the front left wheel, I'm hoping that it's a fairly simple fix that i can laugh about later.

10

If this helps, when the brake is locked up, with the engine running, i can pull the vacuum hose off of the booster, step on the brake, re connect the hose and the brake let's go and it's good to drive for another 10 minutes or so.

10

Thank you guys for all of your help, it turns out that the caliper was bad right out of the box, i swapped it out with another brand new one and it's working just fine, i hope that solved it.

55,355

Bad rebuilt calipers do happen, but it is not very often. Glad you got it fixed.

10

Hey guys, guess what happened this morning!? My brakes are locking up again after a few minutes of driving, i have replaced everything brake related in my jeep, i thought that i had this problem taken care of, please help