I have a 1998 jeep Cherokee Laredo 4 liter, an it is overheating with in 5 to 10 mins, I have a new thermostat, put in it an still the same thing, it's like I'm not getting any coolant or any fuild is going into the engine what can it be?

Bryan Savage

Asked by Jul 11, 2013 at 09:34 AM about the 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo

Possibly clogged passages in radiator, water pump impellers ....do you keep loosing coolant? Belt nice and tight?

Bryan Savage

Not sure..when I start it when cooled down nothing seems wrong, then when it starts to get hot it wants to not pick up speed. An over heats also when I come to a stop sign or light it will shut off even on curves or turning at lights? What is it I can't tow it cause cost to much just need to know what it is to fix

Please be sure. Check it..the coolant, with engine cold, never pop a hot radiator cap.. needs to be full to the top, and check your overflow tank, should be about 1/4 full cold. I am hesitant about advice, I don't want you to have your radiator flushed or buy a new one and that not be the problem, it's expensive, unless you take the radiator out yourself and have it refurbished, acid bath and all. That's what it might need, but I can not say for sure

Seth Bruns

Yes be sure there is coolant in the actual radiator cap, i had a leak behind the fan and when you have a leak it doesn't matter how much coolant is in the reservoir because there will not be sufficient pressure to draw more into the radiator. Don't drive the vehicle to the point of it dying. Once the check gauges light comes on turn it off. Turn the AC/radio anything that draws power off and turn the heater on high, it can help in a desperate situation where you may end up stranded.