motor dies

Asked by Feb 12, 2007 at 07:52 AM about the 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo

motor stalls just like turning off the key starts right up. used an OBDII scanner, it said no problems

17,665

Hello, Can you please give some more details? Under what conditions does it stall? Does it matter if the pavement is wet or dry? If you are moving or still? I had a problem similar to this one, and it turned out to be a thermostat problem (car thought it was overheating, but nothing showed up on tests). With more information, the problem can be much better diagnosed. Thanks! CarGrrl

70

my jeep has had the battery replaced and other parts that i dont have the list for. But i thought it was a fuel pump. You can be driving and it bogs out like it is running out of gas. Then when i go to turn it on i have to press on gas then it turns on but it smells like natural gas more like propane.

55

I had this problem. Diagnosed as Crank Position Sensor but wasn't. Turned out to be computer.

3,175

it could be a bunch of things....like the first reply says, we need more info. What engine as well?

515

x2. It can be anything from an old catalytic converter, crank position, bad 02 sensor, fuel pump...even the alarm tripping..more details are a must. You can't tell us too much.

140

I have recently learned there are many reasons a car will die randomly. Most likely it's not so random if you pay attention to all the differences in driving conditions. My 2000 Grand Laredo was dying due to loose connection to the PCM (power control module) aka the computer. Before discovering that I had changed the crank & cam position sensors which didn't help. Then checked the TPS which was fine. Like the others stated already....more details is a plus.

120

I have a similar problem my 99 grand cherokee die on me while trying to get out of a parking spot ...last night i turn on the truck with no problem then when i was trying to get out of a parking spot full of snow the truck die and it dint turn back on this hapend when i press the gas pedal really hard to try to get out ...any ideas of what can be ...thnks

120

I have a 2001 with similar issues as you. The conditions for my shut off vary. One time sitting at a traffic light, Today I was making a right turn. I've noticed that if I step on the brake making a sudden stop or having to accelerate quickly it will either die or idle rough.

675

jan, you need to clean your idle air control valve, extremely easy to do. cleaner is $3

50

I have a 2006 wrangler. It would just die doesnt matter how i was driving it. Check engine light would nver come on and would not store any codes. Long story short it was the inline fuse for the high speed fan. Llocated on the radiator. But to this day with 88000 miles my jeep still does not store any codes. It will stall n die occasionally at a red light.

230

I have a 97 4.0 and its doing the same thing.It runs fine for a couple of days and then it shuts off.It starts up ok.It doesnt matter if is wet or dry,fast or slow it shuts off.No check engine light,so no code.Replaced the coil.Same thing.

40

I just had the fuel pump replace but now it just dies with no warning codes but once it comes to a complete stop it starts right up !!!