female self doer needs help

Asked by Jul 24, 2015 at 02:45 PM about the 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD

the steering crank pully has broken off.the rod is still there. i have bought the new part,
dont know what i need to fix it.special tool maybe?  any how to info will help.

47,475

Power steering pulley? Shaft still there?

yes. and also yes, shaft is still there

25,385

sent us some pictures..or ..well fix your rag joint..

what is a Rag Joint? and can i fix it? the power steering stopped working but with this hi pitched sqeel then the partbroke and the belt came off and it was all symotainousely. and i shut it off. found the broken pcs under car, right where it sit.do youthink you can tell me whatto do? if you can tell me step by step, or help me find a web sitee that gives those type instructions..any thing will be great..

also, i do not have a camera..or i would take a pic. its the very bottom pulley that runs the power steering that has broken off. is it possible for me to repair myelf, or ??

47,475

Rag joint is a flexible joint that is used on some vehicles to connect the steering column shaft to the steering gear or box. The rag joint is NOT your issue.You may need a special tool to press on the power steering pulley back on to the pump. Also when the pulley came off it may have damaged the power steering pump requiring replacement. Maybe someone will chime in on how the pulley is attached to your specific vehicle. Many are pressed on.

25,385

in other words..i just said rag joint..you dont have one ..thats why a picture or any more info is nice..bob has it right covered...if the pully came apart good chance you can press the new one on...autozone might even have the small threaded/nut press for sale.... sent you tolinks > http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/shop_parts/power_steering_pump _pulley/jeep/grand_cherokee.html also this video >www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ptkHuRNNYU

thank you soo very much...it is most appreciated. i am going to the link now.im so happy.THANK YOU

i found an AutoZone near by.taking my notes from you all, and getting tool if avail. i will let you all know how it panned out come Sunday..or if done and running sooner..woot woot

47,475

Good luck with it.