trouble with alternater gauge drop to 0 replaced battery alternater still the same problem stalls every thing goes dead when drove 10 feet

Asked by Feb 28, 2015 at 09:57 AM about the 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD

39,145

Check your battery cables for corrosion. Clean your main grounds. Check both ends of your positive battery cable. It may appear to be clean on the battery end, but the end to the starter may be bad as well. Post back with results.

39,145

Here is another article I ran across. Try this fix also. I've had the notorious stalling problem happening on my 97 jeep grand cherokee 4.0 4x4 and I've done all you can to it to keep it from stalling but it would still stall. I replaced the plugs, wires, distributer cap and rotor, ignition coil, throttle position sensor, and idle air control valve. All of these parts looked pretty bad so it's good to change anyway if you need to but my jeep would still stall randomly. I started reading everything in these jeep forums about what it could be and I wasn't convinced it was a bad pcm because it would probably kill it after grounding out all the time and what I've read it's supposedly internal problems but I've figured out where the problem lies. It's not necessarily a bad PCM or ECM. Everyone should try this before you go buying a new one because it's actually worked for me, giving the credit to a thread i read that guy posted a couple years ago and no one minded to listen to him. All you gotta do is start your jeep pop the hood and press on the top right corner or your pcm or ecm and if it stalls like mine did there lies your problem. Now all you gotta do is pull it forward (it shouldn't stall doing that) and slide a nice sized cut piece of styrofoam behind it, BAM! All fixed. Reason why is on the left side of the PCM or ECM there are two bolts supporting it but on the right side just one bolt supports it through the firewall, therefor causing less support and creates more vibration to that one side causing problems. Piece of styrofoam works as a great cushion for it. It's the easiest fix! Hope this fixes your jeep too! Good luck.