need help again

25

Asked by Sep 22, 2013 at 07:00 PM about the 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD

my 1997 g/c runs fine around town but when you go out on the highway after about 3 miles at 55 mph it starts to lurch around a lot..when I let my foot off the gas it slows down real quick and if I let it, it will come to a complete stop.. just had rear shaft bearings replaced mechanic said a bit of wear on gears but not serious

9,595

I would suggest jacking it up after it gets tight and try turning your wheels one at a time. Could be the wheel bearings or brakes, hard to tell without more info.

I'd suggest you test the output of the TPS...and replace it~

25

just had the brakes done all way around every thing new ...would the bearings not be checked when rear end axles were out

the reason I'm suspecting the throttle position sensor is because the monkeyin' with the gas that you gotta do to make it run properly~

25

thanks judge but it goes like snot..when It starts to act up its like you are gearing down but the rpm do not go up,,, take foot off gas and it will slow down to quick its almost like the tranny drops to a lower gear but rpms run in normal,,, runs great at 30-40 mph

for 22.58 plus shipping is a good bet....try this please...have never asked anything ever of a person, but this should make you smooooth out~....bet.~

so you wish there was a place to use your grease gun....probably on the U- joints....they won't let us grease the tie rod ends....have half a mind to drill for a zerk fitting and pump 'em full of grease 'till squirtin'~....but seriously get it greased back there to stop the scrapeys and chafin~

7,045

Jeeps do use grease zerks. all tie rod ends and upper ball joints. u-joints if fact. ones replaced.

25

well judge-roy did replace the tps seems a little better but sill wants to act up....is it because it is 4 wheel high all the time??? cause it will not drive when the 4 wheel is I neutral...in neutral the transmission goes into neutral also....just want to try and fix myself before I go to the shop and pay big bucks...ant help here would be greatly appreciated...also did grease every where I could find a zerk(grease nipple)

Coool oledog55, I'm incognito judge_roy, 'cause he had his life threatened...so operator_13, just like Yellow Cab Co-op 1983-1985~....what I think is happening here is that your transmission mounts and/or engine mounts are a bit wonky...you can see this with a woodblock and floorjack...should stick to the car...not separate easily~

7,045

are all the tires the same size? Have you had an axle assm. replaced or gear set replaced? Both axles have to be same ratio. or one will spin faster than other, causing drive train to bind up. Same thing with tires.