Starting issue

445

Asked by Jan 08, 2012 at 12:53 PM about the 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD

I have a 97 Grand Cherokee limited. has the 5.2 litre 318. has approx 115,000 miles. When the engine is cold usually on first start up the engine only turns but does not fire. If I turn the key back to the start position and try again it fires immediately.  If I shut it off and leave it for any length of time it has the same issue but it always starts as I said on the second attempt. Anyone experienced the same issue? would appreciate the input. I am suspecting a bad sensor?

3,335

Could be fuel delivery. What is the age of the fuel filter and fuel pump? Wouldn't hurt to clean out the throttle body also.

445

Thanks Matt, the fuel pump is original and the fuel filter was replaced last year. I just find it strange that it starts after resetting the ignition. I will try cleaning out the throttle body and see if that makes a difference. Thanks again. scott

3,335

May want to test the fuel pressure on the fuel rail. Possibly the starter solenoid is going out. Of course, you'd want to pull the DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) first with a Code Reader. That may help ID the problem. Also change the spark plugs, if not new. Ignition, cap and rotor too.

3,335

I forgot to mention a couple things. What's common with these 5.2 V8s is when the intake plenum gasket begins to fail it will let some oil leak into the intake manifold that may cause problems with starting and/or rough idle. Also if your EGR is dirty or doesn't full close, it will let excess air into the system that will trigger a lean fuel rail code for Bank 1, 2 or both.

5

Hey Guys...this may sound crazy but I had the same issue. After researhing the internet I found someone with the same problem in 1994. I changed EVERYTHING. FIX: I read that it is electrical. I said...What do I have to loose. Went to the junk yard and got a DRIVER SIDE HARNESS WIRES. STARTS LIKE A NEW CAR

5

Here is the note from what I mentioned above: Added 3/25/2004 Hi Vince: I just wanted to let you know on the Jeep what fixed the issue. After I got your mail I found a break in the drivers door wiring harness. I noticed that the door locks were not working and when I pulled on the door to door jam harness, the door locks would once again start working. I suspect that the security system, as you mention in your mail, was also intermittently getting a signal from the door locks that were malfunctioning and in turn was sending a no start signal to the ECM. If I remember correctly, the door alarms on this year are pretty simple and need to work in conjunction with the locks. So In the end the dealer that I bought the car off, changed the ECM, then the door wiring harness and all is fine now. Although I bet the door wiring harness would have done the trick by itself. But it cost me $0.00 so I cannot complain that I have a new ECM in a 10 year old car.

445

Way to go Bo checked your info with my problem, I replaced the old harness in the drivers door and everything is working like new.

10

have you replace the throttle position switch this will cause rough idle no starts and stalling when you let off the gas pedal try cleaning the connection with wire dryer let know