I have a '97 jeep grand cherokee, standard transmission that won't turn over or start unless pushed to start sometimes.It does not happen all the time, but has already happened twice. Any advice?

Asked by Apr 03, 2015 at 10:36 PM about the 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

I have a '97 jeep grand Cherokee with a standard transmission that hasn't given me
any serious trouble before in the past but recently has not started.  When putting the
clutch in and turning the key, it doesn't even turn over.  I have been able to get it to
start when pushed, and it starts up immediately after that, but not on its own all the
time.  
I have replaced the alternator and batter about 6 months ago. Any ideas on what I
should be looking for?

63,235

Check your ignition switch.

Best Answer

Thanks. I'll look into it. I just thought that might have been too simplistic.

37,465

Next time you get that no start issue, rap on the starter with a hammer as someone holds the key to the start position. If she turns right over, then replace your starter.

37,465

Clutch switch under the dash may me bad also. Do the Jeeps have a clutch over ride switch on the dash like the Toyota pickups?

It's your PCM....I had this problem...starting, then not...stalling out as well when doing 70mph on the highway...even replaced the PCM unit and didn't work...buy a $3 dryer cable and install it around the pcm and connectors...tigthen it down...should work. I've been driving mine with the dryer band on it for two years now. Jeep really should do a recall on the design...it bites.