The front end of my jeep is making a "thumping" or "thud" noise when i go around corners or over bumps - can you tell me what it might be?

Asked by Mar 04, 2007 at 01:32 PM about the 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

14,300

Hello emmyguy-- With the thumping sound coming from the front end of your 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee I would first take a look at the engine mounts and if not that I would check the transmission mounts. Take a good mechanic for a ride around the block and he should be able to pinpoint your problem. Good luck from Bovan.

Best Answer
495

umm...don't think motor or trans mounts are the prob. Check your front ujoints. If that isn't it, check your bushings for the front swaybar, trackbar, draglink, tierod...

2,055

i wouldnt look at the trans or engine mounts... if you have a bad engine mount it will really only make a noise with acceleration or decel... turning makes me think front suspension...

our newest mechanic-speaks,every one rise.

20

Adam, you deserve a "smack"! Don't you know that other people with similar car problems search these posts for answers? This advice can be most helpful no matter how old it is.

7,905

Fact is a thudding can be nearly anything... This guy could have had a loose body panel... It could be any almost suspension component loose or worn, it could be mounts, it could be several dozen things and if someone is trolling on forums the best advice isn't to add to a list of possible problems, but tell them to take it somewhere. Which the first post did, and that should have ended the topic, but trolling it up to add to a list of possible problems doesn't make sense...Especially if your adding issues related to suspension. The people who need to look up what a thumping could be don't know how to check their suspension components. (And really shouldn't be trying to fix a suspension issue). And the majority of people seem to post new questions...

40

Actually mr. adam... I've also had the thumping problem with my vehicle and i've taken it to 3 (yes i said THREE) different garages and not one of those garages can pin point the problem so here i sit searching the web so i can find people who have had similar problems and it has helped me GREATLY as to narrow down exactly what the noise could be. I am certain i can now take my vehicle back to a garage and have them inspect the things they never had the brains to look at in the first place. All thanks to the on-going replies to the old posts that you care to bitch about.

10

Yeah adam Why don't you take a leap off that swing you are on. Try not to land on your head this time.

435

front axle u-joint. just did mine in my 96 grand cherokee. same problem.

10

i have the same problem but it only happens whem i put power down i have a 95 grand cherokee lerado so i was thinking the transfer case chain is slipping just replaced my fronv cv driveshaft with a double cardigen u joint on the other end any salutiions????

55

I have to say thank you for not just telling people to take it somewhere. Some people can not afford it. Also, my husband happens to have been a mechanic all of his life, is now an inspector for automotive work done to military vehicles, bought my jeep from a fellow military mechanic, neither of these two men have helped me, but dare me to take it to the dealer. I am a school teacher and would like (have got to, due to lack of cash at Christmas) a go at it. What pisses me off the most is my husband just built a$23,000 garage in our front yard, is painting every freaking bolt on a 1984 chev/GMC truck for hobby every waking moment of his life, expects me to continue all my chores, help him tape parts so he can paint around them, clean & organize this "shop/man cave", and then doesn't take me seriously when I tell him my 2000 model jeep grand Cherokee Laredo has a problem. Meanwhile, he sports around in his red(mid-life crisis) NASCAR mustang racing girls driving brand new camareos. I have said all this to say = THANK YOU TO THE GUY WHO TOOK THE TIME TO HELP SOMEONE ELSE!