1997 jeep cherokke issues

Asked by Jan 11, 2015 at 12:20 AM about the 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD

My jeep is running crappy im trying to figure whats wrong with it and this is what it is doing. its starting but then i take the key out its not acknowledging the key casue its staying started and the only way that it would turn off is from me putting my foot on the break. the dash lights and all the other light where also not turning on at all so what other issue could it be. Oh yeah and when on the way home back from work all the service engine lights all came on. and that morning the doors wouldn't unlock

94,965

I would suggest you get a shop manual with wiring schematics, you either have a cross circuit or bad grounds somewhere in the wiring, also check out the ignition switch, make sure it is turning off all the way and making the correct contacts when in the crank and run positions.

8,300

Start cleaning corroded and loose connections at the battery posts. You may find several. Also check for ohms to ground at the neg. cable to the engine. The haphazard assembly and resulting recalls for rewire may be required to be sought out before your issues are all corrected. They had some issues, they had some updates, but using a meter and correcting all the issues one at a time it may turn into a dependable rig. I spent a month on one once, and found many things. it was a daily surprise how many ways it had become a liability. But it was fixable.

8,300

Most of the issues were at or around the power distribution center, fusible links, battery cables, harnesses. Painted ground brackets ? yea, I was impressed. Coolant leaks, baggy timing chain, etc. But why is that part of its issues ? The coolant spray under the hood was fouling the connections and corroding them. Using protective battery cable sealer and dielectric grease was all part of correction and prevention. hope you enjoy your jeep.