1997 jeep Cherokee, stalling, oil pressure went from 40 to 0, been in shop 4 days, how do we fix it?

10

Asked by Apr 16, 2015 at 09:05 PM about the 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo

My daughter has a 1997 jeep Cherokee, 4.0, 2 wheel drive. she has just had it one week,
on night two she was 2 miles from home and it started to choke on her, oil gauge went
from 40 to 0, it died, then she restarted it, oil gauge was fine, she got home, the next day
it did all the right sounds, no engine lights came on, oil gauge was at 40, but it would not
turn all the way over to start.  Is it the PCM, the ECM, the oil pump, etc?  We've replaced
all the plugs, wires, distributor cap, coil, and the next suggestion the mechanic made was
the choke sensor, another 113 dollars plus labor.  There isn't any leaks, no lights are on,
computer reading shows no codes.  I would appreciate any HELP anyone could give us
to suggest to our mechanic.  Their at the guessing stage now! My daughter is just 17,
she's only had this jeep a week and it's been in the shop all but two days, she is paying
for the repairs and is just about to run out of money! Please any suggestions would be
greatly appreciated!  Could it be the screws I've read about on the PCM, or should I be
more concerned with the oil gauge dropping, or could the PCM screws fix both theses
issues?

68,935

First i have to ask,is the oil thin and doe,s it smell a little scorched?And doe,s the stater turn the engine and just want crank?

10

My dad put 10W 30 or 40 oil in it, the oil is clean, just had the oil changed, there isn't any smell at all, and the starter turns just fine, it just won't crank, Thank you for trying to help us too!

68,935

Have you checked the fuel pressure and filter?If it was running and then quit on you,lead,s me to think it is a fuel issue,

68,935

This is what you need to tell the mechanic,check it for fire at a plug,if it has fire ,check the fuel rail for fuel,im thinking it,s your fuel pump,the way it just died on you.

10

OK I will do that tomorrow and suggest it to my mechanic! thank you again!

10

I found out the jeep has a new fuel pump in it, (actually two new fuel pumps), so that's not the problem. So far we have replaced all the plugs, wires, flushed the radiator, put a new coil in it, new thermostat, replaced the distributor cap and rotary button. The next thing my mechanic suggested is to put a new crank sensor on the jeep. Could it possibly be the PCM board and the screw issue, or something to do with the ECM? I know nothing about vehicles, all I can do is research on line. Any other suggestions, anyone?

10

In case this may possibly help anyone in the future, I just got off the phone with my mechanic, and I printed off the conversations I seen regarding the PCM/ECM board and the screws being to long and hitting something inside the PCM and causing the jeeps to idle, choke, die, etc. He read the notes and he took the two screws and tied a wire tie them so they aren't able to move at all or hit anything, and he said it's running fine, idling great, and he is taking it for a test drive as I type! All is looking good. This literally cost 20 cents for a wire tie to fix, but with all that my daughter has put into her jeep prior to finding this out, she is looking at it costing her between $400.00 - $500.00. Hope this may save someone else a few hundred dollars in the future! Once I hear back from my mechanic to confirm test drive went well I will post for all to know! If you don't see me on her in the next couple weeks you know all went well, if it starts to act up again, I'll keep you posted!

4,935

In the future ! ,! I do know of this problem!! This Jeep has a OBD connector on it!!! Take it down to AutoZone they will show you how to use it and borrow it in their parking lot for FREE, Get the codes and stop the guessing game! Also get a new mechanic he is not doing you any favors!!! diagnose the issues! Get the CODES FROM the OBD SCANNER, all cars since 1996 are required to have them onboard!

10

Thanks for the information, I'll keep that in mind! I'm really hoping there won't be any more problems in the future! I don't know what computer my mechanic hooked the jeep up to, but I never had the first indicator light come on the vehicle. I was told in the past that Auto Zone or Advanced Auto could only hook up their OBD if there was a light on the dash indicating a problem, but I will def. keep this in mind if I ever have an issue again! Thank you for your advice!

4,935

One last issue i failed to mention! The ECM CIRCUIT board can sometimes break the continuity from the pin hole on the connector to the tracer line below! What happens as the wires HANG off of the ECM they put stress on the circuit board inside! So you test the board and everthing appears OK but a gentle amount of pressure on the connector causes a short and you experience the sme issue and you havee the shorter screws! Just a heads up coment in case it acts up again! Now that you have all the glitches worked out you will now have peace of mind that the Jeep will be reliable!

10

Thank you again! I'm really hoping for the peace of mind and it all goes well, (17 year old daughter driving), I need that peace of mind!!!!

4,935

Amen I have 3 daughters !good luck

10

Thanks Papaobewon! I as well have 3 daughters, this one is my youngest! I appreciate your help today! Goodluck with your girls also!

4,935

Please click my helpful link if my advice helped! Thank you