my 97 grand cherokee will spin over just fine but wont start

60

Asked by Jun 02, 2014 at 08:53 PM about the 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo

Help!!!!!! I'm going bald pulling my hair out!!!! Here's the story-my son has been driving this jeep for the last few months. He pulled into the parking lot at work and jeep died. I trailered it home and the hair pulling commenced!!! It has 50 psi fuel pressure while spinning over. Good spark at spark plugs (I even replaced them). Noid lights at injectors, pulsing properly. It will act like it wants to start if I pour a few ounces of gas down its throat, but not a start up. HELP Please!!! Can someone point me in another direction that I haven't thought of?!?!? Thank You Guys!!!

635

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/12-things-you-can-do- when-your-zj-stalls-1407423/ quick answer is probably crankshaft position sensor, but i recommend anyone with a 93-98 grand to check the list when they start having problems.

60

I'm back again!!! I went down the list and still no luck. I replaced the crank position sensor, no luck. Then I got a PCM from wrecking yard (I know, shoulda went new) but I'm just trying to get this thing to run so I can sell it!!! Then someone else told me not to put in an aftermarket crank sensor, so I ponied up the $89 for a mopar. No difference. Let me also interject this, when cranking over, I have a good steady exhaust out the tailpipe (no suck back) with a smell of raw gas. Again, I have pulled several spark plugs and they are sparking!! I get no "check engine" light at all, not even when key is first turned on. I can't remember if it ever worked, as I haven't driven this jeep myself for several months. Any ideas guys?? Thanks for any help!!!!

60

Oh, I forgot. It's a 5.2 V8 with 133k on it.

635

there is a key trick that can pull codes even if the light is not on. turn the key to on position(not start) and off 5 times. on the fifth, leave in the the on position. check engine light will go off, then start blinking and odometer spot will start showing codes(if there are any). 12 is battery disconnected within 50 starts. most jeeps will show that