Car Starts but wont stay running.......

240

Asked by Oct 21, 2014 at 12:05 PM about the 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD

I have a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Love it to death. It has a good new charge on the battery, the Cat is new, the plugs are new, exhaust is new. My husband has done a good job with the upkeep of this car for me. I am asking this question because i know that sometimes men fail to ask for help especially old school car guys like him. He was out there working on putting driving lights and new reverse lights in the car one day and he did so wonderfully. The battery lost its charge from having the doors open so he charged it on the big charger over night no problem. Next day, he goes to start it and it starts but the minute he takes his foot off of the gas the car dies. time after time this happens. There is no check engine light at all. On the screen inside the car, it is not saying anything. Sometimes it will say like if you have a problem - it used to say that we have a coolant sensor bad or things like that. We are very very confused as to why this is happening. We need to get the Jeep ready for the North East winter! Please! Any suggestions would be so appreciated!

Get an OBD scan, most large auto parts houses will scan it free, and we can eliminate a lot of guesswork

240

That would be great but it doesnt stay running long enough to get it there. It starts then dies.

80

check for vacuum leaks.

70,215

If it crank,s and then shut,s off,you have fire,but loosing fuel,tell him to check the fuel filter,and fuel pump,other word,to say if he is old school,is tell him to check for a fuel problem,

70,215

May even be as simple as the fuel relay.

220

I have a 1999 Cherokee and am experiencing the same problem. Car will only start with a jump but once I take my foot off the gas it dies. Did you figure out the problem with yours?

130

I have the same problem. 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Replaced the cat and fuel pump. Still having the problem. With this, I would venture to guess the problem may NOT be the pump or filter. Any other suggestions would greatly be appreciated. I will be checking the relay next.

140

I'm having the same issue. it started thanksgiving night. I had to keep my foot on the gas and use my left foot to break, it's no fun. If anyone has any in site please help.

110

First it was cutting off on me at stop signs and red lights I had to put my foot on the brake and gas to keep it running then it started running hot.We replaced the clutch fan and then the water pump went out we replaced that now it wont stay running.Now we are replacing the fuel filter crossing my fingers and praying this is it.

110

I mean we changed the thermostat first and so on

110

So far mine is running

180

There is apparently more than one thing that can make this happen. I realize that the original post was a year ago but for the sake of anyone who may read these - I had the same problem on my 97 and one solution is that if the battery goes dead after having been locked by the key fob which sets the security system, then you open the door with the key, get the battery charged, it will not stay running. You have to use the key fob, I suggest locking the doors with it, then open the doors with it, disarming the security system, and it will run. Worked fine for months. Problem is I since have had other issues, which is why I came here, it will not stay running, key fob makes no difference, and all the gauges are dead but fuses are fine. It may be the computer, don't know yet.

40

I had this issue. It's either your crankshaft sensor or mass flow sensor... 3 option could be camshaft sensor. (Least likely ) but all 3 has similar symptoms.

160

Use the gas pedal to help the engine start. Immediately go for a 10 minute drive. For 1996+ Jeeps, the OBD-II engine computer (ECU/PCM) re- boots, and the idle settings are deleted, when you: (1) let the battery run down by leaving the lights or radio on, (2) disconnect the battery for an extended period of time, (3) or when the battery goes bad and needs replacing. Your symptoms are: (1) having difficulties starting the engine without depressing the gas pedal, and (2) the engine will have a low idle and probably stall unless you keep your foot on the gas pedal. The ECU will relearn the idle settings after a short period of driving and the engine will start and idle normally. Loose, corroded, or damaged battery cables or ground wires may also cause or contribute to the problem. Begin with basic trouble shooting of the start and charge systems. Remove, clean, and firmly reconnect all the wires and cables to the battery, starter, and alternator. Look for corroded or damaged cables and replace as needed. Do the same for the grounding wires from the battery and engine to the Cherokee's frame/body. If the symptoms reoccur, you need to have your battery and/or the alternator load tested at a repair shop or auto parts store. This is usually a free service they offer to bring in potential customers. Even with low battery voltage, the engine will start, but the ECU can re-boot multiple times and a new battery may be required.

30

try looking into the ignition under the key mine was bad cost me 2k just to finally figure that out all u need 2 do is take it out look and see if corrosion or burn mark on copper connections or contacts it should take a T20 to take apart

10

09/04/16 Mine was the ignition switch once that was replaced it started right up. When we pulled the old switch off it was burned. So for now I'm set

50

I have a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee and I've been having issues it won't idal at all stalls out under 1k rpm I can start it by keeping my foot on the gas and it will run grate above 1k but stalls under that I replaced fuel filter pcv valve idal air control valve replaced crank sensor whole distributor cam sensor tps sensor cleaned whole throttle body also put in a new pcm cuz thought the old one was bad and the jeeps still having issues I can hear the fuel pump kick on too any one got an answer or maybe some ware to look

10

Jeepin. Make sure you have 40 psi st the fuel rail. Even though the pump is running, it may be producing low pressure.

20

i have a 1998 grand Cherokee drove fine last night and today untill i went and picked my girlfriend up from work i went to leave and it turned over then died so i tried to turn over and gave it gas and still died im not a mechanic had to replace the front end and eliminate 4x4 changed all 4 breaks ran fine last night and earlier today but had to have it towed back it would be great if i can get some help the info ive found is it could be the fuel pump fuel filter or the fuel injectors or the carburetor id appreciate the help

50

my grand cherokee is 2004, starts with problems and i have to keep it accelerated until goes normal, after few minutes i can drive it normal, this problem started 4 days ago and every day is getting worst. any help is welcomed

180

I do know that if the battery goes low (maybe 10 or 11 volts) they will not stay running unless you keep the engine revved and until the battery is charged up. Not sure that is your trouble tho if the battery is strong enough to start it. Not sure if the computer could be getting less than 12 volts due to poor connections and the starter is still getting full voltage. Sorry can't help.

10

I have a 1995 grand and it will run for awhile and then start bogging out. Brand new battery water pump fuel filter and altnator is good had it tested. Any suggestions on what it could be?

180

Have you tested the fuel pump? If it bogs rather than an abrupt stop then it is not the security system that is being triggered. On mine it starts abruptly and stops immediately so something is triggering the automatic shutdown circuit in the computer. It shuts off the fuel supply immediately. Sounds like if yours is bogging out could be fuel pump or something with fuel. If it is getting too much fuel it should blow smoke or something. Have the fuel pressure tested. Mine is a 97 and is a forerunner of the fuel injection system. If yours is straight carb then could be carb is gunked up, try carb cleaner in that case. Sorry, not much help, just guessing. s

10

I have a '96 jeep. Same issue. I solved my issue by changing a fuse under the dash. The fuse i changed showed it was still good but once i cjanged it the problem was gone. It idles good, nothing wrong now.

180

Thanks for the tip, I will look at fuses again. Any idea which one it was that was bad? Thanks!

I have a 2004 Cherokee and my battery went dead. I cleaned the connections on the battery and gave it a jump. It took the jump and I was able to start it but it would not stay started. I tried the suggestion from Jeepurz about how the battery went dead after having been locked by the key fob. So I locked the door with the fob, then opened the doors with it, disarming the security system. It worked!!!! Thanks so much for the suggestion!!!

10

Jeep 2003 Cherokee straight 6 - bad idle, freakish stalling and vibrating in the steering column when coming to a stop (acted like the jeep was confused about which gear to down shift to as it slowed down while breaking and RANDOM horrible acceleration from a stop (bogged down like it was trying to get going in 4rth gear from a stop) = I fixed it by replacing the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) located on the back of the throttle box ((toward the dash)). BAM = Fixed! Now the damn jeep only starts when it wants to each morning... Fix one thing, Chrysler manufactured something else to break next...

20

Same issue, replaced the Idle Air Control, the original looked like the shaft had popped out, got the new one, put it in and presto. Works like new.

20

Also, it's a good idea to clean and lube the throttle body, swap out the IAC and TPS if they are old and acting up. I haven't had any issues since I did those 3 things.

I had same issue on my 2001 after letting the battery drain. Jump starts but let foot off pedal it dies. it was the battery it had zero charge on it. It was time for a new one anyhow as it had a bulge in the side

I have a 97 grand Jeep Cherokee, I am myself and my father is a mechanic. But I have never seen this before, I jumpstarted my car and it will only stay running with my foot on the gas and then once shuts off it starts to click when trying to turn over the ignition . Any thoughts of what it could be?

10

Stumpedmech22, what else is your jeep doing? Is the constant need for manual (your foot) throttle the only problem?

Yes, I have to hold the throttle for it to stay on as soon as I lay off the throttle it shuts off

180

You may have this figured out by now and not sure this will help but that Jeep needs full voltage for it to stay running. If you jump it due to low or dead battery it will not stay running until it has full voltage even when at low idle. Put a new battery in it. Also check if your alternator is putting out 13.8v at idle. The other thing that may happen as mentioned on an earlier thread is that if you lock it using the key fob and the battery goes dead before you try it again it will still think the security system is set even when you charge or install a new battery. You will have to have the battery at full charge (or new) and then use the key fob to lock the car and re-open it. then it will stay running. (This is a separate issue form your problem because if it does this it will not stay running even with foot on the pedal because it is a security shutdown.) Hope you got it fixed by now anyway.

10

I have a 03 jeep grand Cherokee Laredo started acting up an running bad like a miss or bad fuel. Computer said rear o2 sensor bank 1 sensor 2. Fixed that and no good. Then the computer said bad throttle position sensor. Fixed that no good. I noticed a bad hissing sound under the hood at the throttle body so I looked and looked it was coming right out of the throttle body not a bad vacuum hose just to let ya no. So I changed the idle air control sensor course that's where the hissing was coming from. And once again no good. I have my fuel tank tied up because they didn't put gas tank straps on it and when the gas tank gaurd rusted through the tank fell out ha ha. So when I got it to start and it was hissing and misfiring I went to the tank and made sure the tank was level the hissing stopped at the throttle body and it sounded OK for about 5 min or so and went back to hissing so I turned it off and was going to start with changing the fuel filter/regulated. So I went to press the fuel rail button to let off the gas pressure and nothing came out hmmmm. So what do ya think bad pump or reg and filter? Either way I'm going to change the cheaper one first then the other if that don't work. Has anyone had this problem yet? The hissing I mean? And no guys it ain't a dam vacuum leak. It is coming from the hole in the top of throttle body by the idle air control sensor

Idle air control valve. Went to oreillys and had them put a scanner on my 96 grand cherokee (check engine light was on) It ran fine and the light went off after awhile. But now my jeep wont start so im guessing it is the idle air control valve, i mean you can drive for awhile but once it goes out it needs replaced or your jeep will start but not stay running. Hope this helps future jeepers!