Starting Issue

Asked by Jun 05, 2016 at 06:35 PM about the 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo

My jeep is not staring. Its getting fuel, air, and
spark but won't do anything.  No check engine
light or codes, but am getting check gages.
Everything on the gages checks out normal
though. I need a list of the common issues that
can cause this to happen. I've owned this vehicle
for 20 years and I've never had this happen.

49,295

If it is getting fuel, compression and properly timed spark then it will run. Does it crank and not start? Jeeps have had some problems with crankshaft position sensors on the 4.0 6 cyl.

The starter will push it through revolutions, but the engine will not fire. I bought the CPS yesterday, weather permitting ill be able to install it today. The only issue is, I checked the computer with an OBD2 and its not throwing a code for it. As I understand, it should. Which worries me, but I'm trying to stay positive. The computer infact, is throwing no codes. Any knowledge on that?

49,295

I would NOT have purchased a CPS just based on what I posted. I was just saying that the crankshaft position sensor has caused issues on these vehicles. Proper diagnosis is still necessary. Do some googling for more information.

I have lol, it wasn't based souly off of what you said. I had bought it before I even posted this, it didn't work. I took it back and got my money back already. Also tried the cam sensor as well, still nothing. I've been told by two people that its something internal like I jumped timing or my computer is messed up. With 205,000 miles I'm guessing a loose timing chain is possible? I've google this issue and the only things I'm finding is about about the two sensors I mentioned earlier.

49,295

Running a compression test would confirm or rule out jumped cam timing.

Hmm, I don't have the capacity to do that, however if it is possible to do so without the engine firing and I can rent the tool of course, then I'd be happy to do it. My guess is that if AutoZone can rent me any anything from an obd2 to a harmonic balancer pulling kit then I'd be in good shape. I guess ill study up tonight on how to perform the test myself and get my hands on the equipment tomorrow or Thursday. You have no idea how helpful you are rightnow.