Can i use p245/70/r16 tires instead of lt245/70/r16 tires?

Asked by Apr 03, 2017 at 04:19 PM about the 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD

want to know if the p245 is different then lt245. i have a 95 jeep grand
cherokee limited and it needs new tires

18,615

Lt is light truck, p is passenger. Lt would be my choice.

18,615

If your not doing any off road and do not pull a trailer a p-metric tire is fine, it would be more smoother ride but Lt will be stronger rougher ride though, they are thicker, hold more weight and are more stable, even with less comfort I still would choose the Lt and its a 4x4 has more weight under it and you may need it if you ever do take it off-road and I personally like my money to go as far as possible, The Lt simply last longer.

18,615

I pull a trailer and wanted stronger tires on my 2 trucks and I also worked where I had to pull up over curbs and Lt tires go buy different rules then passenger car tires and basically a p tire is a car tire under passenger car guidlines and Lt is a truck tire under commercial guidelines and have thicker side wall tires. When the tire gets older p tires sag under the weight & it now becomes a burden on them but Lt tires shrug off the weight like its no bother the them as they age and the tires wear better in long run because of this simple rule they have a reserve allowed excess weight they can carry over and beyond the rating they are marked at and passenger car tires do not allow for this excess reserve and can barely hold the weight they claim as its max and will wear out way faster carrying the max weight or even blow-out on trips over many miles long as they can not bare the max weight but for so long.

18,615

To get a different take on this a A/T tire is a all terrain tire built on the Lt standard and are thicker ect than H/T and will last longer more stable. So if you decide you may off-road a lot go with A/T but H/T will get better gas mileage has less rolling resistance as will/does the LT and the H/T can still get you Off-road but wear faster if using off-road to much kinda like a P tire will wear faster on a SUV/Truck. I looked again and the last time I bought tires I actually bought A/T's, they now have been on there 11 years on one truck and and 8 years on the other and the older tires still have 35% tire thread left and the 8yr old tires have over half tread left and show no sign of side-wall wear. I know I will be replacing the older tires before too long but just to let you know how long they last. I know the older tire set has 100k+ miles on them. The truck with the 8 yr old tires is lighter but has the same tires, I went oversize on those and they barely fit and they have about 100k miles on them. Instead of buying tires every 5 yrs its already over twice that on one set and 3 yrs past that on the other set.

18,615

Oh yea almost forgot if going with A/T's get the widest tires you can because the A/T tire the same size as you p tire will wear faster but to off-set this and go beyond the wear factor of P & H/T tires just go wider, the wider you go the longer they last and when I stated above I used A/T's last time I increase the tire size taller & wider on one truck a couple sizes and the other I went well beyond that to a much larger tire about 3 sizes taller and about 4 inches wider while the other truck just looks a little stockier but here is the kicker both of these are 2wd.

18,615

If using a A/T tire and you do mostly on-road driving like I do but still use on dirt roads, then use a much less aggressive tire pattern (which I have on mine) or use back-angled tread, the more blockier the tire the more aggressive it is. Doing this will ease the pain on tread wear and noise as the more aggressive the pattern the faster they wear out.