My speedometer started working when I hit 3 rpms on the highway and after it set for a while it stopped working again help?

Asked by Feb 21, 2015 at 01:18 AM about the 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

93,175

Bad instrument cluster ground, speedo stepper motor failing, speed sensor failing. Have you pulled the diagnostic codes yet?

No I haven't

Well it worked for a bit so it's not the sensor

93,175

A code check will tell if you have a bad speed sensor, that will effect your speedo.

93,175

You can check the speed sensor if you have cruise control, if the cruise control works then it is not the sensor.

We think it might be a lose wire or something like that.

93,175

Yes it could be, grounds are a big problem with Jeeps, so make sure the cluster grounds are clean and tight, there are also known trouble with some of the solder joints on the cluster's IC board.

FIRST question would be do u have a mechanical or electric speedometer. Depending on that u can then narrow the problem down. I need to know that answer first , then I can definitely help u.

The sensor if electric could have an intermittent signal failure. If mechanical pull the sensor out and check the gear teeth on the sensor going to the transmission, then pull the cluster out and check for corrosion or an unplugged line going to the rpm portion of the cluster. Corrosion is the number one killer for all electric parts. LOOK FOR CORROSIVE POINTS.

25

Hi Bisham I have a 2004 Jeep grand cherokee and speedo not working until I'm driving at 70 mph. Using mobile speedo on phone. Cruise control working wonder if you can help Michael

93,175

Gaillard51 you will get more responses if you start a new thread, this one is over a year old.