Will low refrigerant level cause the AC compressor clutch to not engage

130

Asked by Jul 04, 2014 at 06:31 PM about the 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD

Motor running, AC on max, fan on high.  Clutch on compressor is not turning.  Did not want to  charge the system if there is refrigerant at the correct level.  Checked the fuse and it is good.

67,445

Most of the time this is sign of low freon.

130

Then it is likely OK to charge the system and then the clutch should engage?

67,445

Yes,but i would recommend bleeding it first,to release all air biult up in system.

130

And the bleeding is done by doing what? Is there a valve to do this? Is it on the low or high side? Or just use the fill assembly with the gauge to bleed? How do you know when there has been sufficient "air" bled off?

130

Checking in my Haynes manual for the unit does not show or describe any "bleed" operation or screw/valve to use?

155

there is no air bleed off valve . when your system doesn't work thenyou should first do what you did and check fuse or electrical issues if thatdoesnt seem to be the problem then you can try to add Freon but your compressor will not engage then there may be other problems. if there is a leak and system is empty comp. will not come on because of low pressure shut off sensor to safe guard your comp. there are really cheap gauges to test pressure but remember to check low side pressure only. if there is a leak it must be fixed and then you must evacuate the system with an vacuum pump to remove water from system must hold at least 30 inches of vacuum at sea level to remove moisture. moisture is ac enemy then when it will hold vacuum for several hours then you know leak is fixed and then you can add froen. there should be no so called air pressure to bleed off. if you do bleed it off it is just money going out as Freon no air. I hope this helps you you can continue to put all the Freon you want into system but it will not work properly until you do it right.

Best Answer
130

Thank you. Did add the Freon and the AC compressor clutch did engage. It took a while but the level did come up and the cool air did start to blow in passenger area. Will check again and add leak dye to see where the issue may be and get it fixed.

155

i am glad i could assist somewhat. my info is a little jumbled but glad i could help.

Any ideas on why my a/c system would loose gas after the radiator fan getting damaged? Prior to this a/c was in good working condition. Thank you

If the fan is not working properly it gets really hot and will not work properly the fan should always be in good working condition in order for the AC work good .