1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo - Hard Start

Asked by Sep 09, 2010 at 08:06 PM about the 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD

Every time I go to start my Jeep I have to put the key in the on position and wait for the check engine light to come on. This is taking 30 sometimes 40 minutes. When the check engine light comes on, you can hear what i am guessing is the fuel pump kicking in. Then it fires up no problem. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated, I love my Jeep and want to know how to fix the issue. Thanks!

I would consider checking the fuel pump relay first. I'm only a backyard mechanic but its the cheapest and easiest place to start.

Don't get consumed with the lights. Have summone "spray" 'Ether' or carb/brake clean into air tube, between air filter and throttle body. If it starts, more than likely, lack of fuel/fuel pressure. Also try cranking over, while somone hammers on the gas tank, with a large rubber hammer. if it starts=fuel pump? or you can hook up a fuel pressure gauge. Good Luck Joe S.

20

just went through this over several months and after extnsive research and getting towed home I ended up replacing the cpu, i.e. the main computer. I could give you all the details but it would be a wast of your time reading it. Replaced it myself and I know you could too. Love my jeep too. Lots of fun. No doubt this is problem. Just call around for best price. A good mech. could replace in less than half an hour. can answer any questions.

6,585

tilt the steering colom down and see what happens. These vehcs. sometimes have wires break going to ign. switch.

40

to me it sounds like the capacitors inside the ecm when they are cold it takes a bit to warm them up its an easy job disconnect the battery take out ecm behind water reserve open ecm u will see three capacitors replace them this solved my problem which was the same as yours i have a 94 also laredo after u replace them refill the gaps with silicon NOT water based silicon and ur done final cost 40 bucks alot cheaper than a refurbished ecm