Engine swap

25

Asked by May 28, 2008 at 10:55 PM about the 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo

i was wondering what desiel engne would fit best in my 94 grand cherokee, and how easy is it to swap

3,065

Usually not legal, because most diesels are considered heavy duty engines, and the Jeep is a light duty vehicle. Besides, if you have the 4.0 I-6, you have a torque-makin' bullitproof motor. I'd keep it.

545

there's alot more at play than "what will fit in there" you're looking at a new tranny, driveshaft, and not to mention the crazy linkages you'd have to fabricate, new computer....deff not worth it. plus diesel engines are usually costly b/c they run so long...they put 2.7 liter diesels in a few newer libertys and grand cherokees, they would fit...but again you're looking at more cost than your jeep is worth

95

The new Grand Cherokee Diesel offered in USA has a VM-Motori 3.0 Common-Rail Diesel. This engine is one of the best diesel engines avaliables for a Jeep. The problem is: first, The Grand Cherokee 94 has a similar engine bay or supports for this engine? (in addition, the diesel engines ocassionally are havier than gasoline, I don't know if the 250kg Aluminium block of the VM-Motori is heavier or lighter than the V-8 that has this Jeep). Second, diesel conversion is not only the engine. You must to think in the fuel lines, electric system (the battery is different), and each engine have an specific kit of accesories like radiators, exhaust systems (including catalyst converters), fuel tank, and all that means the diesel conversion because is a different fuel, it has different chemical composition, octane grade, viscoscity, etc. The emissions are different (and now in the USA the contamination by diesels are restricted by several limits, that's why the new liberty has no diesel engine like the previous version). Third, the difference between the actual V8 4.7 liter that has the stock Grand Cherokee, and the Grand Cherokee Diesel are 2.500 dollars. It means that the Diesel engine probably is more expensive than a gas engine, and, this is the difference also is because of the conversion items that I tell you previously. If in a massive production car like the Grand Cherokee, make this change on the car cost 2500, probably you must to have more money. Another conversion items in addition to the engine accesories may include the transmission, axles, and you should look what of your actual car is compatible with the conversion (for example if you change de fuel line, and the Diesel requieres different acomodattion you have to try to fit it). As I told you, is important to know the complete requirements: engine place (engine bay, supports, lenght, width, etc), fuel lines, electrical system (including the electronic controls of the engine if it requires it), inlet place and exhaust system (including the apropiate pipeline, catalyst converter, muffler), and finally, the price of all. If you have the posibilities to make that, serously I sugest you the VM-Motori 3.0L Diesel that has the new Grand Cherokee. Is one of the state-of the-art diesel engines actually and remeber that your Jeep must to be 100% Jeep.

2,875

Why would that not be legal? You can put whatever engine you want in whatever vehicle you want, as long as you meet the emissions requirements of your province or state

3,065

I am a Vehicle inspector here in Missouri. Usually, motor swaps are no big deal. The reason the diesel motor in his jeep would not be legal, at least here, is because it's considered a heavy duty motor, and the jeep came with a light duty motor. Emissions standards vary from one car to the next, and a diesel would not meet emissions requirements for A 94 jeep. That's why.

2,875

That's ridiculous,why wouldn't it be tested according to what the new engine is? It shouldn't matter if the truck is light duty or heavy duty. A Cummins diesel in a 94 Ram will pass, but the same engine in a Jeep won't?....... All I can say is I'm glad we don't have laws like that around here.

25

well i live in manitoba, canada, i am not to sure on the resrtictions but i have seen crazier things than a desiel in a jeep

495

wow...i've heard some stupid things now. Illegal? wow..Don't do a diesal swap. You'll be in over your head. Have you thought about transmissions and transfer cases? If you are going to do anything I'd run a 4.0L stroker (if you're already running a 4.0)

25

why would u wanta do something that a thosand other people already have its not that hard if u have a decent amount of mecanical knowledge and the outcome is alot cooler and unique that a 4.0L stroker i just got done doing it in my 94 jeep grand cherokee and its realy not that hard it sounds way harder than it is but i gess if u wanta take the simple way out then go with the 4.0 stroke it project but i think its a wast

295

i would get a running VW diesel car like a jetta or golf (1999 or 2000) as my 1996 only has 74hp LMAO get a car thats complete the HARDEST thing that you will have to do if making a bell housing plate to fit the vw motor to the jeep tranny... drop the harness out of the jetta into the jeep get a "chip" for the computer and id guess you could get 200hp safely with about 250lbs of torque out of a 4 cylinder considering it has forged pistons full floating con rod pin bushings and beefy crank shaft compared to the high output 4.0 at like 175hp and 225 lbs of torque! pluse you would be saving ALOT of weight!!! and to top it all off it gets like 1000kmh to the tank! i have a customer that did this swap to a unimog here in canada and ill tell you it pushes that truck with ease and he gets well over 800kmh to the tank!! its well worth doing :)

25

I've been looking into the difficulty of doing the same conversion to a Jeep WJ (same model vehicle just newer) not sure if this is helpful but here are some resources I've been looking at. As far as I know, the majority of conversions I've seen online are from the US but are legal and registered in the state they were performed in. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/2001-grand-cherokee-diesel-2wd-4wd-conversion-977580/ http://www.canev.com/Jeep.html http://www.isuzudieselswapper.com/index.html Hope these links are helpful, the first two are build threads for diesel converted Jeeps the last is a site run by one of the builders that he uses to sell conversion parts that he makes.

25

Also just found this page apparently it's a guy putting a 6.2l Chevy diesel engine into his '93 ZJ. http://www.syntheticwerks.com/dieseljeep.htm

It's funny everyone says the 4.0 L i6 engine in the jeep grand Cherokee is bullet proof ....but think again that engine is garbage ....anyone who goes to the local pick and pull see the loot full with the 4.0 but barely ever see the 5.2L limited 318 v8 there.....now I may be biased because I have the same 95 jeep grand Cherokee limited v8 and I tell u with just a few easy upgrades the jeep has 400 hp and drives like a beast ....that being said I'm thinking of buying the 6.2L hell cat himi the new jeep comes with just because I'm bored and love working on my beloved jeep that eats snow up here in buffalo ny....... but if your worried about gas witch is pretty cheap btw !!! Why think of hp gains or performance upgrades just get the cold air intake split model even like I have witch looks awesome btw and just do regular maintenance !!! Just sitting in simple if your not going to spend the cash on premium upgrades and performance engine parts ahh bother going the cheap route when your going to ruin into problems......oh and the diesel swap really sounds cool btw ....ok all done now

Thinking about doing the same! Have a 94 zj limited 5.2 v8 but would love to roll coal with it! Any suggestions? Hit me up on my email. Rdvd2239@gmail.com

20

I have a 4.0 engine what can I put it in beside a jeep

I was going to put a ZZ572/620 DELUXE in a 98 zj laredo if that is possible, I'm re-doing everything in it though, transmission, axles, etc.

Lol just buy a jeep with 5.2 or 5.9 (if u can find one!)