how is maintenance with high miles?

Asked by Jan 21, 2007 at 11:27 PM about the 2000 Audi S4 quattro Turbo AWD

i am looking to upgrade my vw and buy and audi finally. I have been looking at audi s4s with around 70,000miles to 90,000 miles. How are the repairs on the higher mileage s4s? Also, are there any major maintenance issues with this car with higher mileage?

16,535

Hello, Audis tend to hold their value pretty well, and to be good cars to buy used. Of course, this is completely dependent upon the care taken by the owner before you. Before purchasing, I would recommend bringing to a mechanic and having him check it over to see what looks like it could go. Depending on your location, this should cost around a couple hundred dollars. I don't know of any issues specific to higher mileage S4's, but having someone check the car out before you buy is always a good idea. Best of luck! CarGrrl

145

With that mileage, you'll want to have the timing belt and water pump changed. They tend to go starting at that point.

90

I have an A4 and just had the timing belt replaced. They are exspensive. However, the S4 have a timing chain and do not need to be replaced.

85

contrary to popular belief, the timing chains on an s do need replaced around 100000 miles and its expensive as hell, being that the garage has to lower the whole motor out of the subframe to do it. youre looking at 5-6 grand unless you have a hookup

155

go on audiworld.com or quattroworld.com These are the two most popular audi forums. There you can present any question you would like answered. Now for my opinion. I bought a 2000 audi s4 over a year ago, and within my first two months of ownership, i replaced the stock clutch with the RS4 upgrade, as well as replacing the full set of front control arms. This work all came out to be over three thousand dollars. The B5 S4 is not the most reliable audi. The stock KO3 turbos are known to fail, and are known to be very expensive to replace. With that warning said: THIS CAR IS THE SHIT. This car put a smile on my face since the day I bought it. The handling is phenomenal, and you cant beat the quattro traction through turns. The car is well made on the inside as well with hints of luxury throughout the car. Also the aftermarket support for this car is like no other. There seems to be a cult following of the B5 S4, meaning the owners buy the car, and can not sell it. I know people who have sold their S4 and just went on to another B5. If you have the money, and the patience to maintain the car, GO FOR IT

275

any audi that is an "S" model will cost much more to repair.......there is a big $$$ diference in repairs. If you don't believe me, you can call an Audi dealer and ask or a VW/Audi mechanic. If you are looking at the S4 with that mileage, I would, if I were you want to know if the timing belt has been replaced. It should have been. I would also want proof. I bought an S4 Audi with the timing belt changed and had proof that it was done. But at that time I didnt realize that once the compartment is open to change the timing belt, other items besides the timing belt and waterpump should be replaced, such as the pulleys ect. a knowlegable Audi certified mechanic will let you know why all should be replaced. It will cost you to have it done right. It will cost you your engine if you dont have it done correctly. Once its done correctly the front of the engine shouldnt have to be opened up for another 100,000 miles. And so I will say it again, S models are more expensive to fix and repair, have a certified or Audi Dealer do the work on a timing belt. "A" models are not quite as expensive to repair. I had an S4 like I said, that had the timing belt done at the right mileage, around 85,000 but it wasnt done by an Audi dealer. I dont know if everything that should have been replaced was replaced, but 12,000 miles after making a significant purchase the S4, the timing belt broke and bent the valves. To get that kind of repair done would've have cost 5-6,000. I didnt ask what it would cost to replace the engine. and that quote wasnt an Audi dealer quote, Audi's quot e was $6-8,000. Be carefull and make sure you can afford to own an S4, no matter what repair it will cost more than an A4 for example.

275

S4's have a timing belt, I just had the misfortune of having mine break, and it is more expensive to repair an S4 than an A4

275

Also if youre looking for an S you want to go with 2001.5 model, due to the fact that audi did do some retooling with the turbo's, before 2001.5 the turbos would break easy

155

in regards to what is posted 2-3 replys down.... the turbos were not actually re-designed or changed at all. there were minor changes to the oil feed and return lines (larger ports for oil to flow, but the lines themselves were not altered. The main difference between 2000-2001.5 models are the new redisigned "S" badge, and weight. The 2000 S4's had aluminum control arms, and a lack of esp (traction control). dont view this as a negative, because most drivers drive with traction control off anyways. all in all, the 2000 model weighs in at the scales from 200-300 pounds lighter then the later years.... just some food for thought

275

Ovviously you have not done your research if you think that the main changes were the S badge and the weight of the car, or there wouldnt be so many audi fans looking for the 2001.5. I truly dont think that they are interested in the badge change and the weight of the vehicle.

45

just make sure to check boft turbo....unplugs the exit and you should find a little bith of oil not to much nothing over 2 table spoon other than that if the car was well maintain and take care ...it's a great car.......my car is for sale the cleanest on on the marcket

70

I bought a used 2007 audi s4 with 103,000 miles for $16,000 with dealer maintenance records. the timing chain change and water pump done at dealer in records so seamed like safe bet......kinda wrong. Ten thousand miles into owning it came my first problem. Power steering line just sprung a hole and leaked out fast. I do not make enough $ to maintain this car at dealer so I did myself. Mexican rigged a copper tube joining the line together...its working, new fluid. came to about $30 vs. the dealer id say $700 to $1000. Next issue was the coolant line behind the engine. It fell off the fitting, lost all coolant on highway leaving me stranded on way to work.....very disappointing. this part is not available with out buying a whole new line..dealer wanted $1300. hell no...I got a fitting for a A4 with a smaller engine you can find that part...guess what it fits! slightly smaller opening for coolant but its running just fine with new coolant. So EXPECT SMALL CHEAP ENGING COMPONENTS TO START CORRODING AND BREAKING VERY SOON. IF YOU ARE A MECHANIC YOU CAN FIX IT. IF NOT START SAVE THOUSANDS TO LET A TRAINED MECHANIC DO WHAT YOU COULD OF DONE YOURSELF. THE CAR IS IS BEST CAR IVE EVER OWNED. I LOVE DRIVING IT. I LOVE THE WAY PEOPLE LOOK AT ME DRIVING IT. ITS AWESOME BUT GET READY FOR A SMALL HEART ATTACK AT THE FIRST SIGN OF A PROBLEM...IT WILL BREAK YOU...YOU AINT RICH..YOUD BE BUYING A NEW ONE.

70

TRUTH IS ANY CAR WILL GIVE YOU A FEW PROBLEMS. THIS CAR WILL MAKE YOU LOVE DRIVING LIKE A TEENAGER. I WILL GO HEAD AND SAY THE RELIABILITY OF THIS CAR COMPARED TO AMERICAN CARS IVE HAD IS A 5 OUT OF 10. POOR. THEY MAKE CHEAP PLASTIC PARTS UNDER THE HOOD....ITS RUNNING FINE RIGHT NOW...BUT AT THE PACE IM GOING WITH THE ISSUES WITH IT I KNOW IF JUST A FEW WEEKS TILL ANOTHER PROBLEM COMES UP THAT WILL PROBABLY LEAVE MY ON THE HIGHWAY AGAIN...SUX. I HOPE IM WRONG.

20

Volkswagen Passat owner! Best car I've ever owned, drives like a dream and is 10 times the car a Honda is. Also have a Audi A6 and its my baby. These cars are great cars if you maintain them and I mean the simple things. Change your oil every 3000 miles and keep an eye on engine fluid levels and your car will last over 300,000 miles. My Passat is a 1999 with 200,000 miles and never had a major problem with it. People dive their cars hard and don't keep up on general maintence then get on forums and bad mouth Volkswagen/audis. A cars is as good as its owner.

I have a 1998 that has covered 200000 miles and it pit a smile on my face evry time i put my foot down. I have Audi Guru that looks after. His word last time it when in for service was" I can;t believe has well that car runs with 200000 on the clock. Its got bucket lots of history and two owns from new. thinking of turning it into a track day car. Manny