Is the computer dead?

Asked by Jun 04, 2014 at 10:56 PM about the 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe Base

I have a 03 Santa Fe 2.4L 5 speed manual.  The small timing belt broke and took out the crankshaft sensor.  I replaced both and drove about 100 miles when after turning off the engine I went to start it.  It would crank over ok and sounds like the engine has good compression but won’t start.   I put some gas in the intake to see if it was not getting gas.  It didn’t start.  I have no engine light.  I put the code reader on and it can’t link to computer with key on.  It takes a long time and then says error.  It could read the computer before with the engine not running and key on.  I think the computer died but have no way to test it.  Could be the wires.  Any other ideas?

96,955

That system is fuse protected, check the fuses to see if it has blown some, if you do find a blown fuse then I would suspect there is a wiring problem in the engine control circuits, possibly something damaged when the belt broke. Wouldn't hurt to look it over real good first.

Thanks Mark. I have checked all the fuses (under the dash and in the engine compartment) and found them all good.I would like to know the wire going to the computer that has the +12v. So I can check to see if the power is getting there. Is there sensors that need power from the computer that I can check? The crankshaft sensor has three wires, should one of them have a voltage?

96,955

The sensor voltage will be 5 volts, the TPS uses voltage to sense the position, the crank sensor is just a Hall effect device so it won't have any referance voltage on it. You might be money ahead if you purchase a shop manual that has wiring diagrams in it for your car.

My wife pickup a manual at Autozone and it doesn't help much. If I looked at the book before buying it I would have found a better one. Which shop manual shows the pcm wire diagram?

96,955

I have found Mitchell manuals to be about the best, short of the original factory ones, unless you want to fork out some bucks and buy a subscription to an on line service.