$168 battery??

Christina McGlynn

Asked by Sep 24, 2012 at 09:52 PM about the 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD

I just went to the garage to get my car looked at, it was starting funny, struggling to start. The mechanic told me
it was the battery and I was like, "Phew! That could have cost me." I come back a couple hours later to pick up
my car, and they charged me $168 for a new battery!! This seems a little extreme as the last battery I bought I
got a Wal-Mart for around $70. They acted like they needed to get me some special battery for my car that they
couldn't fine or something. I have an 02 Santa Fe. Does this sound extreme to anyone? The total bill for the
battery, labour and tax was $258 goddam dollars. like twice the amount I originally thought I would be paying.

Chris McGee

Unless you got an optima battery they are overcharging you. I use to work at a shop we had interstate batteries, they were 165 installed with a 5 year pro-rated warranty. What brand battery did they sell you?

Best Answer
Christina McGlynn

It's a Carquest series 6000 apparently.

Chris McGee

Still charged you way to much! assuming its a 60 month battery aka 6000 series.

Chris McGee

There site offers a 70 month battery for $96.00. WOuld ask them why so much and why did they not give you a total before install, they are required to tell you the cost. Your right as a customer.

Christina McGlynn

Damnit. I guess there's nothing I can do about it now! Friggin' rip off. Thanks so much for the info.

Christina McGlynn

Thanks Chris. I think I will call there tomorrow and ask. They are my regular garage, so I don't know why the ridiculous price.

This happens from time to time. I would tell them to take it back and put in a less costly battery or you will report them to the BBB and there are local news channels that love this stuff. Taking advantage of women has to stop!!

Chris McGee

No problem, let me know what you find out.