Engine Intake leak ? Intermittent frequent whistling sound with racing idle

3,655

Asked by Mar 14, 2014 at 11:33 PM about the 2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD

.Had to change valve cover gaskets & decided to replace all dry rotted & leaking hoses
& PCV at same time. After putting all back together idle searching from 1600 to 2600.
Rechecked all hoses, fittings & also replaced IAC (cracks in body by mounting bolts.
Then steady high idle 2600 RPM. Smoked engine, replaced lower & upper intake
gaskets. Idle still screaming at 2600 so pulled MAF and returned to normal if not a bit
low (550 to 690). Replaced MAF, idle STILL screaming at 2600 unless I unplug
connector. Engine now has intermittent but more frequent high pitched whistle, sound
like pass side or near firewall center of engine. Tried carb cleaner & propane, no
leak/suction or engine smoothing. Can there be a crack in 1 of the 2 pieces of the
intake manifold or plenum that is opening & closing with temp changes and the whistle
is air leaking or out ? Desperate to be pointed in the right direction here.

1,205

My first thought is a large vac leak since it started after you replaced hoses. Could it be that you have some hoses routed wrong? If you can hear it and the idle is that high, I'm thinking a large vac hose like power brake booster hose or PCV hose.

10

I had the same problem high idle at 2000 rpm no power couldn't go over 20 mph I looked for vacuum leaks and found nothing what I did find was a fuel line that had cracks in it I believe it connects to the egr valve not for sure but its on the front driver side close to the transmission dip stick I didn't have a pc of hose so I used water weld made by jb weld and some self adhering tape and fixed the fuel leak and it's still running and my check engine light went off also. I truly hope this helps someone because I was stumped myself my car popped up 4 codes and that wasn't any of the reasons the check engine light was on so to be safe check this fuel line before you go spending a butt load of cash on stupid codes . I can send a pic of location of the fuel line if needed email me @ johnnyjkj1@gmail.com