sometimes it just won't start, then a couple hours later fires right up???

35

Asked by Sep 23, 2007 at 10:18 AM about the 2000 Audi A6 2.7T quattro Sedan AWD

Engine turns ove fine but won't start. It only happens once and a while but seems to be getting more frequent. When it won't start I just leave alone for a couple hours , try again and it start sright up.

idahohill@roadrunner.com

3,045

Could be a bad ignition module/pickup coil or ignition switch.

5,395

Does it have any Check engine lights or codes? If not, I would suspect the fuel system, or some sort of fault in your anti-theft keeping it from starting. I had it happen in my truck once. It would fire right up, then immediately shut itself off and be fine a little bit later.

30

This might help: I had the same problem a few months back. The car would turn over and not start. But, eventually the engine would fire up (and run forever). My fix was to replace the CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR. Although, the new part is very expensive, I picked one up from a seller on eBay who was breaking. It did the trick and the car is as good as ever. Fingers crossed for you!

45

Could also be the fuel filter. If this is the case, you should have a lean fuel mixture code stored.

2,675

When this happens are you seeing the tachometer working?if no there is a possibility of a Crankshaft position sensor,is the CEL on?scan and see what codes are stored?On the 2.7L would take a very close look at all of the small vacuum hoses for splits.When it starts does it run smooth or is it rough and clears itself up?There were some issues with fuel injectors on some models as well.

120

I have a 2007 Audi A6 with a 3.2 liter v6..... I changed the crank position sensor, and the problem still remained, it turns over and won't start. Sometimes it takes a minute or 2 but other times it takes a day.

40

I have the same problem, about to try the crankshaft position sensor

110

Hey roger_Rabbit1 i have that same car same problem did you ever find what the problem is?

20

Hello, I have the same issue. Audi A6 2007, very low mileage & does not start at all. Battery & fuses working. Just sent it to Audi & still they are not sure what is the problem. Any insights! Could this me a defect in the model! Anyone knows any problem as this seems to be a potential recall problem. Thanks!

110

Does the engine turn over?

120

The problem I had was the fuel relay! When the car was warm it wasn't starting. Another problem could be that the injectors were leaking, they had a recall with that, the injectors will leak and flood the cylinders, that'll cause it to turn over and not start.

10

for me, the ignition switch housing broke.. it's costing me $800 + to get it fixed. The original part is custom to a VIN and needs to be ordered from Germany.

i am facing same problem...what could be reason?

10

Audi A6 2.4 2001 starts fine and drives , then you turn off and it won't restart leave over night it starts , had new starter and cam sensor , crank sensor ,temperature sensor ,had alarm tested and that's fine ,any help

none of you bottom bois gave good answers, check vacuum lines at rear of engine, they may need to be replaced

I have a 2003 Audi A6 Quattro 3.0 motor I put new coils new spark plugs and a new throttle body and a crankshaft sensor bank number 2 in my alley still won't crank up

My 1997 Audi a6 will crank but not start at times, once it starts it runs forever. I have noticed an additional indication of the problem. When I turn the ignition switch forward to the accessory position and leave it their, I.E. windows up or down heat fan running, the GAS indicator doesn’t move or register any level. If I try again later and the GAS indicator starts to rise then it will start. So I can tell ahead of time whether or not it will start. Any ideas???