2001 Hyundai Santa Fe Won't Accelerate Properly

10

Asked by Jan 28, 2015 at 08:35 PM about the 2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GL

I have a 2001 Hyundai Santa Fe and for the last year its been very slow to accelerate
when the gas is pressed. It was also just discovered that the cat converter is bad and
there is a hole in the exhaust system. I want to know if fixing these two things will help with
the acceleration problem or am I looking at a car that just needs to be scrapped? I'd rather
not have to go looking for a new car (poor as dirt graduate student with kids here), so
honest opinions would be appreciated!

270

I have a 2001 Hyundai Accent in my fleet of junkmobiles. I had that same problem and replaced the O2 sensors on the exhaust system. I did not have a hole in the exhaust but you might be able to get some muffler tape that will keep it going for a while. To be honest, it sounds like you need new exhaust. All of these current engines, regardless of nation of origin, are controlled by a computer which tells the injection system how much fuel and air must go through the system. They need input and they get that from the sensors. If you are a graduate student then you are quite capable of figuring out what is wrong. All newer engines are controlled by a computer and sensors as far as intake/exhaust and if you know that you will figure out a fix.

10

Unfortunately, my particular graduate program in Counseling Psychology and Psychiatric Institution Reform doesn't go over car mechanics. Rats! ;)