RPM goes very high

Asked by Feb 21, 2007 at 11:55 AM about the 2006 Honda Pilot EX AWD

My honda pilot is just 3 months old and have changed oil once only. When driving the car the RPM reaches 4000-4500 just at the speed of 20-25, There is no pickup with keeping RPM low.
I tried driving Toyota of my cousin it reaches 45 within 4-5 seconds and RPM just below 3000.
Which sound weired to me.

22,270

Hi Surinder! Sounds like your two cars have two different gear shift points, but you are comparing apples and oranges. There are a number of possibilities here but at 3 months old ALL of those possibilities are your dealer's problem and you should immediately dump this car in their lap and see if they think there is a problem. If they don't and you still think there is, you should travel up the road to the next dealer and get their opinion. Take full advantage of your honeymoon period as the purchaser of a new car and keep putting the vehicle in front of your dealer until you are happy with it. Good luck!

105

looks like im a little late here, but lemme give my imput anyway...... now i own a 03 pilot, and even though i didnt quite get to write my review yet, i know exactly what im gonna say. I love it!!!!!! everythig about it! Call me deprived, but i am very, VERY pleased with it! Everything, exept the underpowered motor. i mean, its a 3.5, but still seems like its just suffocating every thime i floor it. And yea i hear ya, not muc pick up til about 3500-4000. and as soon as i get the money, im gonna blow and chip it, but thats just me... so as far as the high rpms go, im guessing that you voluntarily push the engine to that point so you can just finally get some power!(?) Myself, ill just let everyone whoop me at the stop lights rather than use all that gas, but thats just me. So ive come to the simple conclusion that the engine is underpowered for the weight of the truck, yada, yada. I have to agree with the last dude that replied, the honda vs the toyota is apples to oranges.... the ford i used to drive had the 4.6L, which i loathed because of the lack of power vs the 5.4L, and yea, theres a difference! now after owning the pilot after about a month, then driving the same ford truck, i was amazed at how much more power the ford had. The relative power and torque it had for accelerating and even climbing steep hills, the same truck i used to complian about, totally beat out my pilot. So i would guess, just by what you said, thats whats goin on, but you own the truck, so you can tell better than me what the deal is. If its not something serious, theres so much stuff you can do to beef up your power; i know a guy who put a larger diameter exhaust on his pickup and gained alot of horsies. Hope i could help, peace!

245

I would just like to say, Honda trucks and vans suck. They need to stick to cars. Honda cars are fantastic and would not buy another car besides a Honda or Acura. Trucks on the other hand I love Toyota trucks for play. If you need a big hevey duty truck for work buy a Ford F-350. Thats all I have to say.