Audi a4 fuel pump replaced, but somethings killing the battery.

20

Asked by Dec 12, 2014 at 08:33 AM about the 2000 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro

My brother is a mechanic, I had him
replace the fuel pump in my 2000 Audi
a4 while I was gone to the beach for the
week. I just had a new battery put in my
car for winter, since it hadn't had one in
about 2 or 3 years. Now whenever I try to
start my car, the battery seems really
weak. This morning I got in my car and
the battery was completely dead, and it is
barely a month old. I have no idea what's
killing it

5,035

First thing comes to mind would be the fuel pump relay since work was done on the fuel pump.

20

That was what I was thinking. I did some research online and everything pointed to the relay. I appreciate the reply

8,555

where did you get your battery from ? preaty much any regular joe blow battery from the department story is not good for your audi. my advice is if you bought a battery from any where but the audi dealer for you to take it back and get a refund and then go to audi and get a new one from them for your old one. Audi and vw charge peanuts for a brand new battery factory made never been rebuilt for like 129$ canadain. if the fuel relay is not the issue do this and see if it fixes yer problem. also if you really want to be sure if its the fuel pump or not try this... disconnect your battery then reconnect it and listen for a click from the relay. if it flicks on its stuck in engage mode.

20

I don't know why I didn't check the relay before assuming it was broke, but I checked it and it's clicking like its supposed to when I turn the key over. I got my battery from advanced auto, it wasn't a cheap one either, quite pricy, so I'm hoping that's not it, but I'm taking it to get it checked today, since I went to start my car this morning and it was dead again. I'm going to try listening to the fuel pump here in a minute when I hook the battery back up.

8,555

ok well if you only jsut recently got this battery take it back to where you got it from and make sure you get your old one back. Head to the audi or vw dealer tell them your make and modal of car you own and they will give you a brand new battery for 129$ (canadian for me) and it will guarantie you won't have gotten a bad battery and also will make sure you don't get over charged for one.

8,555

(be sure to have the old battery since they do a swap to save you money as well my price is based off a battery swap)

20

Can anyone find out what relay 382 is on my Audi, I can't find it anywhere online.

8,555

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/328041-Missing-a-relay?highlight=missing+relay check out this page it has all the layouts and listed names for it or if you are still unsure go to your local audi dealer hit hte parts counter and ask for a diagram of the realy system they will print you the picture and list of parts i do it all the time and add them to my audi repair manuel.

The question I have is how the car behaves when the fuel pump is going out?

8,555

it stalls.. has trouble starting.. Best way to figure out if the pump is acting up is to open the back seat lift the trunk carpet and remove the cover to the fuel tank then turn your key to power on and listen for the hum. If it sounds sickly and weak its either clogged or got one foot out the door.