Fuel Gauge Stuck On Full

10

Asked by Nov 10, 2016 at 02:21 PM about the 2001 Audi TT Quattro Hatchback 180hp

Hi guys,

The fuel gauge on my Audi TT Quattro 2000 Mk1 is stuck on full. I tried the fuel
injection cleaner trick with one bottle and it did shift the needle back down but
only for an hour or so then went slowly back. Since then it has fluctuated a bit
but mainly stuck on full.
I did a vag-com (cheap ebay cable) on it and have posted the pic below &
hope you can make some sense from it as I dont know what it means. The
needle sweeps went perfect & I repeated to make sure. Cluster came back
with no faults. The top half of the segment cluster is out so it doesnt show
miles left in tank so im working off the trip but i have no idea of how many
miles to the litre i'm getting. Can you also tell me what the fuel sender
resistance in the pic means? and its relevance to the gauge.

Any help with this would be much appreciated guys, thanks.
Jim

67,375

Sounds like the problem is with the sending unit in the gas tank. It's actually part of the fuel pump module. Look on rockauto.com for a picture of the fuel pump module. You'll see an arm with a float on it. That's the sending unit. As the float goes up and down with the gasoline level in the tank the resistance value to the gauge changes. This positions the gauge needle where it's supposed to be. When a gas gauge always reads full it's a problem with the power (+) side of the circuit. Since you put the fuel injector cleaner in and it made a difference I'm betting that the sending unit in the gas tank is bad. HTH. -Jim

10

Thank you so much for the detailed answer and I'm sure you are 100% right as its pretty much what I suspected. I have another question if you could help me out as its quite serious. Recently the back end of the car has been spinning out. I wasnt going fast about 20 mph but it was wet. It has happened a few times in the past month, once when i was doing 70mph on a motorway luckily it was very late at night and didnt have my four year old daughter in the car. Any idea what could be causing this? as i'm afraid to take her in the car in case we get in an accident. Many thanks in advance - jim

67,375

You're welcome. Glad to help. It could be a problem with the rear brakes either dragging or locking up. Also, if you have two good tires and two not so good tires on the vehicle, the better tires should always be on the rear of the vehicle. This is for better water displacement and less chance of a skid. HTH. -Jim