2001 Audi A6 4.2 Quattro stalled while driving & hasn't started since.

10

Asked by Mar 30, 2015 at 06:56 PM about the 2001 Audi A6 4.2

Only had this car for a month. There
have been times when I would stop
at a store,go in & come right back
out & car wouldn't start for 20-30
min., sometimes after it started it
would idle & I'd push the gas pedal &
it would act like I wasn't pushing it at  
all & stay around 1000 rpm & other
times it would barely stay timing at all
until I eventually cut it off. This time
tho, I was getting on interstate & it
started spuddering real bad so I
pulled over hoping I could turn it off
& it would start back up but it's been
5 days now. Replaced fuel filter
today & still nothing. It try's to start
(firing etc) fuel pump is humming &
it's getting gas but it just won't start
& I'm out of ideals. Any good proven
advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

61,295

Sound,s like it may be bad fuel pump,IMO,do a fuel pressure check on it.

10

I can hear the fuel pump when I turn the key to the "on" position. Idk how accurate of an indicator that is that the fuel pump is working but I've always heard that if you can hear it clicking that it's working. I'm stranded at a motel out of town while working & don't have the necessary tools really & was just hoping it might be something I could fix with limited tools & somewhat basic mechanical know how. Trying to avoid a rip off mechanic since I don't know anyone here etc.

8,565

hI and this sounds to me like a fuel related issue as well. i been doing some looking about and turns out there is a problem with a vavle which requires recall work in the fuel tank. So check for signs of leaking gas. Tho i think your culprit may be carbon build up on the injectors and throttle body as well as blockage on the sensros up to the maf. Find your self a car store like autozone or like wise and pickup a can of maf sensor cleaner and a straight head screw driver and a few star shaped hex keys. dissemble the main air way and clean all the sensors right back till you reach the main throttle body. If you can check the throttle body for signs of carbon buildup. if your experienced enough you can remove the throttle body and clean it your self with the maf cleaner. if not try to find an experianced vw/audi specialist in the area. Just google search or use your phones google map and search vw specialist and you will come up with lists of specialized shops for your make of car. if your unsure of the shops Let me know the city your stranded in threw messages and ill search for a decent shop for you.

I had a similar issue. I started with the fuel filter, too, but then replaced the mechanical fuel pump, then I replaced the internal fuel pump and fuel line, then I had to replace the purge valve. That was the end of it, and (knock on wood) the thing has been running great.

10

Finally got it fixed by a mechanic. He replaced what I think he called the "PCM" relay. It's been a couple of months now but I'm pretty sure that's what it was. It controls the main computer for the car therefore it wouldn't start at all but since replacing that ($270 parts & labor) I haven't had any issues with it not starting or any problems at all (knock on wood) Hope that helps someone.

Can you give me a link @ Kingras36@gmail.com