Should I get it or something else?

10

Asked by Dec 15, 2013 at 01:34 PM about the 2001 Audi A6 2.7T quattro Sedan AWD

I hear Audis are not really reliable and
repairs are expensive but I'm looking at this
car and wondering if it would be a good or
bad idea to get it. Its had a lot of work done
to it recently so I'm hoping it will last me a
long time without needing repairs. I'll paste
below what the owner told me.

2001 Audi A6 2.7 Twin Turbo. 15 7k miles.
New timing belt and tensioner. New
serpintine belt, pulleys, tensioner. New cam
shaft seals, valve cover gaskets. New
plugs. Rebuilt Turbos. $3000.00 spent on
engine. No oil leaks. New transmission
filter and fluid flush. New struts. New
inner,outer tie rods. Upper and lower
control arms, ball joints. New rotors and
pads new tires. Silver with black leather.
New combi valves. Heated seats. Cold A/C.
Sunroof. Runs and drives very well. No
lights. Reciepts for all repairs. $5000.00
spent on car this year.

25,335

No- don't get it- you'll be sorry- "You Audi Know Better"

sounds good....but does it really sound 'good'....you should really do a comparative compression check between ALL cylinders...compare....this will tip you as to the health of the motor....use your ears to find possible problems...when I buy a car there are just three things I am concerned with 1.) the smell of the interior (how close to brand-new off the showroom floor) barring a brand-new cabin filter. 2.) the smell of the exhaust....how carboney how coolantie how oily or white smokey does it smell? 3.) the steering and suspension...inspection of all moving suspension components....sadly some are made from two cars stitched together...you would not KNOW this unless you did a 26 point inspection~ ....bottom line, do you LOVE This car...if the answer is yes, then away we go~

Best Answer Mark helpful

thanks scotty....you're a "car dude" too~ often I go against the common logic what jamnblues is saying....when I bought a 2006 mini...EVERYONE said don't do it....turns out the mechanic at Berkelely Motor Works says this car is "the creme of the crop" despite the troublesome CVT transmission...still payed way too much as the "market value" makes a FOOL out of me...but I do not care...I LOVE This car and has had NO problems despite having nine owners and a rental according to CARFAX-- -still smells brand-new~ thanks for the points~

10

Thanks for the help

25,335

OK- when you have seen an A6 'sploded all over the floor of the mechanic's stall, like I have, you would really think seriously about this- yes, it was a turbo- yes you have to take the whole body apart to get the thing out- man, I never knew a car could have so many parts- a ZILLION parts- you the man, Judge, but an A6 is not a Mini

Quite true James T Baker...or is it james A baker....you are absolutely right...as I recall there are owners who will push it too the limit {regardez and OLD T-bird we both knew} and those who are gentle folk you get in your way...I'm one of those....my PERFECT driving record with only ONE accident which totalled my 59 pontiac...yes I should have been aware that guys WILL run a redlight...expecially in a rental...but I digress...I'm just gonna shut up now because it's more than a machine....an extension of yourself...as persnickety as yourself...laden with difficulties will open more channels than sitting in traffic...for example~

a MINI is also a pos to work on...I cannot squeezle my body under it...even with ramps...ferget it~ Mike at Berkeley Motor Works gets ALL my money~

25,335

James T Baker- the James A. Baker is my nemesis and he stole my name- and he can't drive fast like I do- (the exception being that evil handling '78 T Bird you mention)- You de Funny Judge, fo' sho'

jamnblues....it's no mystery that you're the bluesman...you bring that lifestyle on with passion~ glad you could find humor in my gleanings~