oil level is always too high after I have the oil changed

Asked by Aug 30, 2013 at 08:31 PM about the 2003 Audi A6 2.7T Quattro

Every time the Audi dealer changed my oil it was at least 1quart too high, using the dipstick as a guide.  I complained but got no resolution from the dealer and on the next oil change the same thing happened.  I started going to a local shop bringing only 5 quarts, (capacity 7.3 quarts with oil  filter).  When I got home after doing this I found the level at the full mark and added no oil, adding to the mystery.  Today I did the same thing with the local shop, gave him 5 quarts and when I checked the oil it was at least a quart too high.  I have to trust he only put in 5 quarts I gave him. Has anyone  had this problem with the 2.7T?  I am really confused, and can only think the solution being to change the oil myself to get a handle on exactly how much oil is in the crank case.  My 2.7 burns no oil between oil changes, 73k miles, I use Castrol synthetic.  I have a cam cover gasket leakage problem which changing the gaskets did not resolve, (changed twice).  This is why I am sensitive to high oil level as it could be the cause of seal leakage, i.e. increased crankcase pressure caused by foaming oil).  gasket leakage has decreased with constant vigil to keep the oil level at the full mark and no higher.  Any insights??

237,045

I'm going to ask the obvious, when you check the oil level are you on level ground, engine cool, dipstick down?

Car is on flat ground, oil is warm, car has been off for 20 minutes or more, not sure what "dipstick down means"?

315

try to park your car overnight, before starting in the morning check the oil!

I have been dealing with this myself since purchase of car four years ago same exact motor 2004 model A6 s line when checking oil cold or even warm andoff for a period of time the oil has always been overfull. Today after a significant noise coming from my driver's side turbo I checked the oil before the commute home and found it overfull again but the car has been reacting strangely the past couple of days. Almost like it needed oil. I started the car and checked the level and the dipstick says I'm a quart low. Just added a quart and response seems much improved.