Do I need to replace my thermostat in the car?

Asked by gscott1959 Apr 19, 2014 at 09:36 AM about the 2003 Audi A4 1.8T quattro Sedan AWD

I have a 2003 Audi A4 Quattro 1.8L turbo.  Recently I had the water pump replaced due to
coolant leaking out.  Now while driving, the temperature gauge shows normal but after 15
to 20 minutes the temperature rises then returns to normal.  This happens continuously
while the car is running.  It shows no sign of overheating.  I don't see coolant leaking out
and when I turn on the heater it blows cold air.

3,585

I would suspect a Thermostat. It either stays open or shut. It is keeps open it never gets that warm and cold air is always blowing. Although, if it is stuck close it will overheat. I would replace it.

27,425

this would probably be due to the coolant has not been bled probley which is a comman occurrence when you get some one who does not know what there doing when refilling the antifreeze. There should be a bleed valve on the cooling lines under the hood in some cases 2 here is a link that should help you out. http://www.ehow.com/how_7675042_bleed-cooling-system-audi-18t.html . Alot of people don't realize the anti freeze cooling system in an audi is a closed pressurized cooling system and the reason you get the thermostat going up and down is the air pockets going threw your system are stuck in certain places and randomly the coolant gets threw those locations to spike your sensors. As for the heating system it will only work when your foot is pretty much half way to the floor due to the air bubbles in it as well. If you had AUDI do this work take it back and ask them to bleed your system properly and complain about them not bleeding the system properly which caused you more issues. you can do the same at where ever else you had it done but it would be best to take it to a vw or audi dealership to get it done, since they can do it properly

30

I have a 2005 a4 Audi Quattto that was given to me it over heat when trying to put coola t in the reserve tank had a crack in it now thats replaced its another spot where the coolant seems to be clogged or a house something is missing

27,425

is there any coolant flow? if there is zero heat coming out of the heater then you likely have a blocked or broken water pump. your going to need a flush to find out exactly whats going on here.

20

Hi anyone knows why audi get fan always on ? I've replaced the cooling sensor also changed the coolant to g12 and still fan always on. Do you think I need to change my thermostat. Or what is the issue.

27,425

it might be the fan in general some times the fans fail other times they keep running. also other things can can cause it is a faulty sensor in the over flow tank tho if your car is not over heating I would guess simply that there is either a short in the fan wire or the fan is faulty.

20

Hi yes it says on the diagnostic short ground listed thermostat. I dont know what that means. Or what needs to be changed

20

Its not over heating

27,425

it means you have a bad connection some where which is causing the issue. Just start tracing wires and see if you can find any correded plugs or grounds or frayed and broken wires. it is likely a wire but in the case its not then try replacing the sensor it is refering to.

hi i have audi a4 1.9 tdi the temperature of car show 90 deggre but car is not warm so i dont have either the sensor of temperature g72 any soultion about this