1995 GMC Sierra 2500 cuts off

Asked by Feb 24, 2014 at 09:20 AM about the 1995 GMC Sierra 2500 2 Dr C2500 SLT Extended Cab LB HD

My Sierra cut off on me to work (fuel issue). Changed the fuel filter first, nothing. Then
changed the fuel pump (worked). Cranked fine, no issues. Immediately drove to gas
station (approx 2 miles), bc it was dangerously low. It cut off on me right before the
pump. Put gas in it and from that point it would stall, choke, etc. But I can crank it,
leave it in park and rev it up and it sounds great. The moment I put it in drive or reverse
it cuts off. If I let it idle forward and get it moving then it will drive fine, until I slow down
then it cuts off. So starts immediately cut off if load is applied. Guys at autozone are at
a loss. I changed out the fuel pump again thinking it might have been a faulty
part..same thing. Side note.. I do not hear a sound (fuel pump) when I turn the key on.
It does start a little ruff and then about 3 secs after it is running something kicks in and
it levels out.
Any direction would be great!

10,965

This is a TBI engine right. Test the fuel pressure and check the fuel pressure regulator in the throttle body.

10

I had similar problems with my 94 Sierra 2500. The problem turned out to be a 15 minute fix. It was the ignition module under the distributor cap.

10,965

When the ICM goes 98% of the time the truck will not start but I wouldn't rule it out completely.

10

My truck would start and run for about four or five days, then quit. Then all of a sudden it would start and run again. This went on for about three weeks, then nothing. I still don't understand why it would cut in and out like that but I've been driving it for three years now without any problems since changing the ICM.

10,965

@DerrickGoertz I'm thinking it was getting to hot and quiting, letting you to start it again later when cool. Then it finally failed. I've changed 30+ of these and they were all dead, but it's electronics you never know how many wierd ways they can fail. The DIS ICM's in the GM cars fail randomly though. I'm on the 5th one in my '92 at 280,000 kms (one was my fault, use the heat sink compound they give you).