audi will not start, wont even crank, is it the starter? or something else

100

Asked by Mar 27, 2014 at 10:06 PM about the 2004 Audi A4 1.8T quattro Sedan AWD

when turning to the on position everything lights up but the car wont even try to crank.
I dont think its the battery because the head lights still work, i dont know what else it
would be besides something with the starter or solenoid, can anyone help me with this?

100

fuel pump is going when in the on position, spark plugs are not burnt on the tips, would a bad solenoid make this problem or is it definatley a starter problem? the batterey is pretty much brand new and we tested it, its putting out 12v.

12,515

try crawling under the car and checking the connect point between the solenoid and the starter body my wire had rotted off there before once. which resulted in my getting a new starter this is most likely your culprit You can do the starter yourself but its a big job it requires there passenger side engine mount to be removed as well as the alternator. and so that you know there is one bolt in from the front and one bolt in from the back. i spent a day trying to figure that out when i changed mine thinking it was a broken bolt.

100

Thankyou that wire was no good and we replaced the starter the car is running strong once again

130

Does anyone have a pic or image of the "connect point between the solenoid and the starter body"? Thanks for sharing your experiences! -Myke 2012 S5, V8...won't crank.

12,515

google is your friend.. but incase its not ..

12,515

this little wire has a tendancy in the older modals to rot off cause the starter to fail. most modals of vw's and audis from 1996 - 2005 have the issue over time.

130

Thanks! I will check today after work, and post the outcome...

130

Wire is good, replaced impulse sender...no change still. I did check the fuse that and and found it had blown, so I changes it and just as I'm starting the car (2012 S5 v8), I heard the new fuse blow. Should I consider the fuel filter and fuel pump? Which fuel pump...how many fuel pumps are there? Any help is gratefully received, and pics would help. I'm a champion googler, but I'm having a tough time finding what I need.

12,515

ok so which fuse exactly was blown ? find out what its for and you may find your problem. it sounds like what ever is blowing the fuse when you try to start is whats causing the issue.

130

It's the fuel pump fuse.....but why is it blowing? Where to start? Other fuses? Wires? Relay? Fuel pump(s)? How many fuel pumps? One in tank? Two under hood?

12,515

hehe well for this modal there is only one fuel pump. A good place to start is to inspect the wires that lead to the fuel tank for damage. If its blowing the fuse its quit likely there is a break that is shorting some where. it is possible it could be the pump that causing the short but i would trace wires first. Also i would dig threw the main wiring harness under the dash threw the fire wall. Some times you can get a wire that cracks open down there.

40

Follow the KISS principle: Keep It Simple Stupid. Before you go tearing into the wiring harness that hasn't given you any indication of problems at this point, pop the connector off of the fuel pump/sending unit and check for any voltage drop on the harness side and resistance across the fuel pump side. It's probably going to be the pump. (For every 21 problems like this, it's been 20 fuel pumps and 1 wiring issue.) Always start with the quickest test that will yield the most information. If the pump and voltage check out, I would use an in-line circuit breaker in place of the fuse for diagnostics so you're not throwing 100 fuses away or wasting time replacing the fuse every time it blows.

100

2004 Audi 2.7 L twin turbo all road won't start or crank...but lights come on ... ran through a Lil water made it home it died now won't start ... HELP

40

I have 07 audi a4 2.0t in the cluster doesn't show the check engine light and some times show the light and start right away what could be the problem can any one help me

12,515

if the engine light comes on you likely have an issue that an obd2 reader can grab and tell you. Its likely due to a miss fire. Replace your plugs if they have not been replaced in over 60,000km and it shouldnt come back.

10

Audi 2.0 TDI B7. 2005 Turn ignition on I have lights radio etc but turn the key to fire engine all I get is a single click then my clocks reset. Tried new battery but still same issue. Any ideas?

12,515

start checking your grounds and terminals. Make sure they are clean use a wire brush to clean the terminals remove the grounds clean them with the wire brush and put them back on. if the terminals are not the issue then you likely have a short some where the older cars had alot of wiring issues. best way to check things out is go to your starter and start tracing the wires. also check the starter its possible it is dead or had a line rot off of it

I have Audi a4 B7 Quattro 2007 It starts sometimes perfectly, but there are days it won't start?!Connected computer and it says the fuel pump problem. change the fuel pump it started and worked for 10min and then had the same problem? check all the fuses they are all fine... the computer gives me an error code P3073 any information will help what do I do from there is there a comment problem with the fuel pump?

12,515

check out this link it should help http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/P3073/012403

Hi, My 2009 Q7 3.0 tdi wont start or crank, instrument cluster is off. It was without a battery for about a year. Bought new battery and it started once only since. Key unlocks stearing but wont activate ignition or cluster, any suggestions?

12,515

perhaps try making sure the key is coded to the car still.

I have a 2003 A4 Quattro 1.8T I replaced my battery last night and this morning it won't crank. I'm getting all my dash signals what's the first think I need to do from here someone please help

Should I check the starter wire or?

12,515

check the plugs and make sure they are clean

Do you know why the hood doesn't wnana open now?

12,515

either your latch is stuck or the cable is broke My 2013 i had to hold the pop switch and reach around and bang my fist on the hood to make it pop up or get some one to pull it up while i held the pop latch in the car.