audi will not start, wont even crank, is it the starter? or something else

80

Asked by Mar 27, 2014 at 10:06 PM about the 2004 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro

when turning to the on position everything lights up but the car wont even try to crank.
I dont think its the battery because the head lights still work, i dont know what else it
would be besides something with the starter or solenoid, can anyone help me with this?

80

fuel pump is going when in the on position, spark plugs are not burnt on the tips, would a bad solenoid make this problem or is it definatley a starter problem? the batterey is pretty much brand new and we tested it, its putting out 12v.

9,065

try crawling under the car and checking the connect point between the solenoid and the starter body my wire had rotted off there before once. which resulted in my getting a new starter this is most likely your culprit You can do the starter yourself but its a big job it requires there passenger side engine mount to be removed as well as the alternator. and so that you know there is one bolt in from the front and one bolt in from the back. i spent a day trying to figure that out when i changed mine thinking it was a broken bolt.

80

Thankyou that wire was no good and we replaced the starter the car is running strong once again

60

Does anyone have a pic or image of the "connect point between the solenoid and the starter body"? Thanks for sharing your experiences! -Myke 2012 S5, V8...won't crank.

9,065

google is your friend.. but incase its not ..

9,065

this little wire has a tendancy in the older modals to rot off cause the starter to fail. most modals of vw's and audis from 1996 - 2005 have the issue over time.

60

Thanks! I will check today after work, and post the outcome...

60

Wire is good, replaced impulse sender...no change still. I did check the fuse that and and found it had blown, so I changes it and just as I'm starting the car (2012 S5 v8), I heard the new fuse blow. Should I consider the fuel filter and fuel pump? Which fuel pump...how many fuel pumps are there? Any help is gratefully received, and pics would help. I'm a champion googler, but I'm having a tough time finding what I need.

9,065

ok so which fuse exactly was blown ? find out what its for and you may find your problem. it sounds like what ever is blowing the fuse when you try to start is whats causing the issue.

60

It's the fuel pump fuse.....but why is it blowing? Where to start? Other fuses? Wires? Relay? Fuel pump(s)? How many fuel pumps? One in tank? Two under hood?

9,065

hehe well for this modal there is only one fuel pump. A good place to start is to inspect the wires that lead to the fuel tank for damage. If its blowing the fuse its quit likely there is a break that is shorting some where. it is possible it could be the pump that causing the short but i would trace wires first. Also i would dig threw the main wiring harness under the dash threw the fire wall. Some times you can get a wire that cracks open down there.

Follow the KISS principle: Keep It Simple Stupid. Before you go tearing into the wiring harness that hasn't given you any indication of problems at this point, pop the connector off of the fuel pump/sending unit and check for any voltage drop on the harness side and resistance across the fuel pump side. It's probably going to be the pump. (For every 21 problems like this, it's been 20 fuel pumps and 1 wiring issue.) Always start with the quickest test that will yield the most information. If the pump and voltage check out, I would use an in-line circuit breaker in place of the fuse for diagnostics so you're not throwing 100 fuses away or wasting time replacing the fuse every time it blows.

30

2004 Audi 2.7 L twin turbo all road won't start or crank...but lights come on ... ran through a Lil water made it home it died now won't start ... HELP