airbag Clock Spring

20

Asked by Dec 07, 2015 at 02:38 PM about the 1990 Ford Taurus GL

Anyone know if I can put a clockspring from a 1992 Taurus into my 1990
Taurus?

67,435

It's best not to use a used clock spring. They're aligned at the factory and a plastic clip is installed to keep them lined up until after it's installed. The clip is then broken for use. Even when you have to remove the clock spring for another repair it needs to be taped into position and the steering wheel not turned until after everything is put back together. HTH. - Jim

20

I haven't been able to find a new one even in the after-market. Hence my looking at a used one. But thanks for your good advice.

67,435

You're welcome. Glad to help. I was afraid of that when I saw the year of your car. You might try your local Ford Dealer's Parts counter. Even if they don't have it maybe they can check other dealer's inventory, coast to coast, to see if maybe it's sitting on someone else's shelf. I'll check tomorrow and see if NAPA has a listing for it. I work there. If worse comes to worse you may be able to get one from a junkyard. But pull it yourself, secure the center that rides on the steering wheel shaft, and note the position of the steering wheel of the doner car. You'll want your steering wheel in the same position as the doner car's steering wheel when you install it. HTH. -Jim

20

I did try the local Ford's parts counter. Ford's online site shows the part 14A664D as available but local counter said it was discontinued. He did say part fit a '90 or '91 Taurus. I was going to pull the part myself but local UPULLIT only has a 1992 Taurus. Your advise will help if the '92 clock spring would work. Thanks

67,435

I'm sorry I took so long getting back to you on this! But I did try to cross over the OEM part number but had no luck. I'd suggest eBay or any Ford enthusiasts forums. Since you have the OEM part number somebody's got to have it laying around. Good luck with this. I hope you can find one!! -Jim